LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a match up I've been wanting for a long time and finally got it last night. My fiancee and I were driving home from dinner and a bit of shopping down a main road. This road is the perfect place to troll as it's 4 lanes one way, lights stretched every 1mile+, 55 mph speed limit, large median island for Michigan lefts, only busy during rush hour, police patrol only during the busy times. Of course I'm driving down keeping my eye open but it's very empty.

I see a car way ahead do a Michigan left and pull onto my side. It starts speeding away and it's VERY quick! I say to my fiancee, "That's a quick car whatever it is!" So I start speeding up hoping to catch it if it hits the next light. Sure enough the car hits the light and I see it's a white CTS-V coupe, awesome! Just when I'm about to stop the light turns green and he just rips it open doing a massive burn out, very cool looking! I just think, ef it I'll bait him, I drop my car in 2nd and just blow by him and slow down. The CTS-V bit!

We slow down to a 35 mph roll and I'm in 2nd. I'm about to three honk when the CTS-V punches it. I hit it and end up putting his nose right at my back bumper before my car shifts into 3rd. Through 3rd gear I'm ever so slowly crawling away from him. I end up hitting 100mph and cutting it off, at this point there is a full car gap between the CTS-V and I.

That's when I remembered there is a dip in the road... I'm going 100... I hit the dip and my headers scrape and sparks fly everywhere! Whoops... I really need to bring the front nose up a bit.

We ended up giving each other a thumbs up and I told them to follow me to the closest parking lot. We end up talking for 30 minutes. The owner was around my age and bought the car just last week. He said he was showing off to his friend and at the same time hoping he ran into something. He couldn't believe how fast my car was and wanted to know what I had done to it. I told him the basics and he said it was cool I kept it this long and built it up. I told him if I had to do it over again I would have just saved for his car! I told him mines only quick. It's not fast, comfortable, quiet or good on gas but his is.

His friend mentioned the ZL1 and I told him my neighbor bought one I was itching to race. But now that I raced the V I know I can beat it. His friend looked at me and said, "You didn't beat us, you just kept up!" I said, "Okay yeah sure, I know I can "keep up" with a ZL1."

The cool thing about this race is it was really a power race. I do have to be careful with 2nd gear because it will break loose if I put down too much power. I also have to be careful when it's shifting 2-3 because it has a tendency of breaking loose after the shift and that can get very scary. After that it's free flying from there!

I know my traction issue are because of my tires. I've had these GForce for 3 years now in the back and they were they original tires off of a 2002 WS6, they are old! They are now well passed the wear bars. When it rains it just skates around in the back, very not safe. Me running these tires instead of my 555Rs or MT ETs really gave the CTSV a huge advantage early on as I have to feather the throttle a bit or I blow the tires off in smoke.

Anywho, I'm really happy with this race. I'm now looking for 2013 Vipers and Z06s... Maybe a ZR1 if I ever find one, lol.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The V passenger mentioned he wishes he brought his phone out. There wasn't a lot of time to think about it. It all happened so fast!

The best part of this is a guy at work bought a CTS-V coupe recently and has been bragging about how his car can beat mine. His is an automatic while the one I raced was a stick. I'm sure the auto will launch better but I wonder how it will do on a roll in comparison. At any rate, I'm not telling him about this, because now I'm in the know, lol.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Ok, his nose was at your back bumper and the passenger said you just kept up? Sounds like the V was keeping up to me.

You should beat that A6 V roll racing. Even with putting it into sport mode and down shifting, I haven't been very impressed by mine from a roll. It has to get momentum going before it pulls hard. I have a feeling thats a funtion of the tune (torque management).

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, his nose was at your back bumper and the passenger said you just kept up? Sounds like the V was keeping up to me.

You should beat that A6 V roll racing. Even with putting it into sport mode and down shifting, I haven't been very impressed by mine from a roll. It has to get momentum going before it pulls hard. I have a feeling thats a funtion of the tune (torque management).
That's what I thought when he said that but I just dropped it. Not worth getting into a silly argument over it, they were nice enough guys. The V technically wasn't even keeping up as he dropped another car by the 100 mph mark (Two cars behind from my nose).

You're also making another good point. Those LSAs are awesome on the high end! If we kept going (which I wouldn't as it's too damn dangerous) I would have either ran out of gear or he would have simply caught up and passed me. My car is quick but those LSA cars are FAST. There is a difference between quick and fast, lol.

·
Registered
366 Posts
But that's pretty sick to be able to pull on CTS Vs, Lol then the bit about "you only kept up with us" ...please

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What mods you got?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Xzaust, Have a lot of mods. Click on my signature picture to view build thread.

MB, yeah, maybe I'll do it this season but I don't feel like working on the car unless it's necessary.

SNM, can't afford the track at the moment and still tweaking some things here and there as I find them. I at least would like to upgrade the drive shaft and get a safety loop just in case.

BMX, from what I've seen and read they run low to mid 12s on street tires. The things weigh nearly 4,200 lbs which is crazy heavy, I'm sure that hurts their 60 ft considerably. They are still awfully powerful and from a roll they aren't something to scoff at with that LSA.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
BMX, from what I've seen and read they run low to mid 12s on street tires. The things weigh nearly 4,200 lbs which is crazy heavy, I'm sure that hurts their 60 ft considerably. They are still awfully powerful and from a roll they aren't something to scoff at with that LSA.
Ya man they are awesome cars, my buddy gets to test drive gm stuff and we had fun in them. I think we both trapped the same when I raced one too.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nice race man. I've got a good set of surprisingly sticky tires (all season to boot with a 540 tread wear rating) from Discount Tire recently. They cost a bit more than the 555R's, but I think worth the extra dough. Not sure how'd they do with all your mods though. But you shouldn't have to worry about breaking the rear.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right now I'm thinking 285 NT555 or 275 NT05 (Not the R) for the back. I'm not running DRs for the street ever again! It gets way too scary in the rain over 55mph.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts