LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what make's the ws6 package 15-20hp more then the base Ls1,is the cam the same?

where is it that G.M. takes there hp readings from....crank....rear wheels.....

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
The "ram air" makes the difference. Its all on paper though. Physically there's no internal differences between ram air and non RA cars.

Dynos have proven the WS6 package's HP rating to be just an ad gimmick. IMO since all LS1s were underrated, the ram air cars are just advertised closer to their true ratings.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
They take their readings as they advertise from the net crank hp.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what kind of hp readings is the stock LS1
I have the G.M. performance catalog,and it say's LS1 = 350hp is that about right?

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
NviouSS said:
the non ramairs were rated at 305 and the ramairs were 325.
Which in reality is nothing more than marketing propaganda. They both had the exact same motors, w/ the exact same power, they just "rated" them differntly to give the WS6 an added "bonus."

·
Registered
370 Posts
agreed, the only differences between a regular ta and a ws6 or firehawk are Hood, wheels, suspension, airbox, and badging.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Chris89GTA said:
Which in reality is nothing more than marketing propaganda. They both had the exact same motors, w/ the exact same power, they just "rated" them differntly to give the WS6 an added "bonus."
Settlemire says the ram air and other SLP hp increases were, what's the word he used..."validated", meaning they should have been tested for legitimacy. And I don't doubt it...I just think they never validated the base v8 cars and therefore heavily underrated them.

No way the final SLP SS was a true 40hp more than a base Z28 in 2002...345-305. I think all the cars were closer to 350hp output...like the C5...and they just underrated the base V8s massively.

When a car dynos at the wheels what its advertised to be at the crank...you know GM's playing tricks :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When a car dynos at the wheels what its advertised to be at the crank...you know GM's playing tricks :D[/QUOTE]

So G.M. still is do'ing that eh,I knew that back in the day they did the under rating thing for the insurance boys.

I have a prime example at home,it's a 1968 cst pickup w/a 396...10:25 comp pistons hi-pre stamped on the block same stuff as the ss chev car and it was said to be 310hp :werd:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
basically a ls1 is a ls1 is a ls1..... they all start out about the same....

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
What do you guys think about the WS6 LT1 everytime i see them dyno they usually do put better numbers down than there Ta counterparts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
same deal excewpt its all in the airbox with the LT1 MUCH less restriction

·
Registered
612 Posts
in a perfect world, the mods that are done to make a WS6 would make it faster, but mere differences between engines make up more of a difference. also, even if the ram air worked(which the factory setup doesn't), it would be immeasureable on a dyno

·
Registered
7 Posts
the difference is in the forced air induction and the lower restriction exhaust that the SS received (over the Z28)

the LS1 (2001/2002) in the Fcar received a truck cam in order to keep the horsepower below that of the Corvette.

We advertised 310 and 325......and the good thing is that EVERY car had at least 310 or 325........unlike some other vehicles we won't mention here.

(insert horse whinney here......)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts