LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I'm a kid, 19 years old. I never like to buy used items. Usually I'd rather cough up the extra money and get everything brand new. But I found a pretty good deal on some kooks long tube headers and a y pipe w/ a borla exhaust for $900. The question is, are used exhausts a safe buy? I mean, they're metal so I can't see anything being wrong with them. I want to do true duals, but if he can separate just the headers then I'll be happy. What do you guys think? Here's the link to the ad. I want to jump on it because I don't want to get kooks for like $1,100. Thanks guys you're the best!

Also, the headers came off a 95. I have a 94. Will everything be the same? That's my main concern.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/pts/3733363926.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Here's the deal. I'm a kid, 19 years old. I never like to buy used items. Usually I'd rather cough up the extra money and get everything brand new. But I found a pretty good deal on some kooks long tube headers and a y pipe w/ a borla exhaust for $900. The question is, are used exhausts a safe buy? I mean, they're metal so I can't see anything being wrong with them. I want to do true duals, but if he can separate just the headers then I'll be happy. What do you guys think? Here's the link to the ad. I want to jump on it because I don't want to get kooks for like $1,100. Thanks guys you're the best!

Also, the headers came off a 95. I have a 94. Will everything be the same? That's my main concern.

Looks like a safe buy. But check it out in person to check out dents or holes first. Corrosion too. If all looks good I'd say go for it.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Nothing wrong with used parts. I started modding my SS solely with used parts. I usually did face to face deals so I could look at the part before hand. Now I did jump on some stainless QTP 1 7/8" primary headers for my 408 from a guy in a different state. They were as he described them and $350. After little time polishing them, they looked new. over the years I got a 4" mufflex cat back for under $200, and later a Borla for $300 or $350. I later sold it for $350.

Have you tried offering his a little less? Wheel and deal! You maybe able to get it for $800.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nothing wrong with used parts. I started modding my SS solely with used parts. I usually did face to face deals so I could look at the part before hand. Now I did jump on some stainless QTP 1 7/8" primary headers for my 408 from a guy in a different state. They were as he described them and $350. After little time polishing them, they looked new. over the years I got a 4" mufflex cat back for under $200, and later a Borla for $300 or $350. I later sold it for $350.

Have you tried offering his a little less? Wheel and deal! You maybe able to get it for $800.
I feel you on that. Craigslist is a budget builders wet dream. Of you know how to pick through the bull you can get great deals. Especially I'm bigger cities. I once bought a Cadillac Catera I'm great condition for $900 otd from a dealer off of Craigslist. Sold it three days later for $3500 after a detail, trickle charge, and new fuses.

I got my C5 Z06 wheels for $400 and my front Hankook Ventus 285/35ZR18's for $100 (brand new) off of craigslist. Bought a 4l60e for my suburban for $100. And a full living room set for $100.

I'm currently checking my local Craig's list for a cat back for my Z28 right now. Hoping to find something not flowmaster for under $300.

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
Got my magniflow catback for $50 98-02 complete brake system, including spindles for $50, callies dragon slayer crank $300, all off craigslist.

Just wondering if that living room set will fit in your car.:roflmao:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Got my magniflow catback for $50 98-02 complete brake system, including spindles for $50, callies dragon slayer crank $300, all off craigslist.

Just wondering if that living room set will fit in your car.:roflmao:
No, as hard as i tried it just wouldn't fit. Good thing I had a suburban and trailer though. Lol.

$50 for a magnaflow cat back is a screaming deal. I hope to find something like that. Hey I can use a cat back from a gen 3 with little mods right?

·
Registered
124 Posts

If you hit him up about the headers, I'll hit him up about the cat back ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
For hrcslam, Since 3rd gen has the same basic body pan as 4th gen, I believe you could mod it to fit. If your willing to do the work involved.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
For hrcslam, Since 3rd gen has the same basic body pan as 4th gen, I believe you could mod it to fit. If your willing to do the work involved.
I just scored a Magnaflow muffler with tips, like this one, for $70 on Craigslist! How do you like yours?

Two problems with it. The previous owner welded 2.5" mandrel bent over axle pipe on the in port, and all the welds are crap! Ugh. I'll have the exhaust shop fix those issues though. I'll see what the shop will charge me for a 3" I pipe (the stock one got dented up real bad by the rock that destroyed my transmission) from the cat to over the axle plus fixing the crappy welds. Hopefully not much.

OP: did you get that exhaust? Talk him down?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry for not updating. I was going to but then decided to order o2 extensions and block off plates.

If that's not a good enough hint, yes I bought them. I drove down there and told him $650 and ill put the whole thing in my car and leave right now. He was a little iffy but he took it. Pretty good deal I believe.

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
I loved the magniflow when I had it on the car. I'm a little older than most members so I wasn't looking for that loud thrashing sound. The magniflow is fairly quite at most conditions, but at wot, has that mellow rumble I like. Best way I can describe it.

Yes, I'd say you came out pretty good on the Kooks, Borla deal.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright I am going to be installing the headers on Monday. I'll be doing the EGR and air delete. The o2 extensions and block off plates are on their way. What other tools do I need? I think I may have everything. The only thing I'm worried about is how to remove the spark plugs. I hear you have to remove some. Is there a certain tool I need to remove them or is it something I'd have already? I've read the write ups but all that I see are the procedures and not the necessary tools.

Also, the gaskets that are already on the manifolds now are only 3 months old. Can they be reused?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Alright I am going to be installing the headers on Monday. I'll be doing the EGR and air delete. The o2 extensions and block off plates are on their way. What other tools do I need? I think I may have everything. The only thing I'm worried about is how to remove the spark plugs. I hear you have to remove some. Is there a certain tool I need to remove them or is it something I'd have already? I've read the write ups but all that I see are the procedures and not the necessary tools.

Also, the gaskets that are already on the manifolds now are only 3 months old. Can they be reused?

EGR Delete is not worth it. You'll only lose fuel economy. You will not lose or gain any performance with deleting it. Ditch the AIR system though. Not needed with a high performance cat or no cat.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I'm already getting a tune for the delete and 93 octane. I don't care a bit about fuel milage, even though it's a daily driver. Plus I was getting an EGR code a little while back so I'd rather just ditch the entire system and clean things up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts