LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Katzkin seats in my Formula and they have no cracks or tears, looks like new except for a spot that looks as if it is worn out (kinda hard to explain).

If I clean the seat and not treat with conditioner, the spot is almost not visible once dry. When I condition the seat, the area looks as good as the rest of the seat but eventually that spot fades back to looking like untreated leather (while the rest of the seat looks as if it was just conditioned). Tried several different conditioners with the same result (Meguiars, Surf City, Tanner's, etc).

So what should I do to fix this problem before it gets worse? Is there a clear leather "coating" that I should use to repair the spot? Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id email Katzkin, just to get their input.
I emailed them, and am sure they will just tell me there's nothing they can do as it is normal wear, and that they can sell me a complete new kit.

Was just hoping someone on here can steer me in the right direction for some kind of leather top coat (clear).

Although the "worn" area does not transfer color on my rag when I wipe the area.

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Have you thought about using leather dye on the discolored area. Use the alcohol based dye and not the water based.

They probably don't have your exact color, so you would have to mix your color from several different colors.

I found Fiebings leather dye to be the best. If your area still has a shoe repair shop, you can get it there. Or order from their website.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you thought about using leather dye on the discolored area. Use the alcohol based dye and not the water based.

They probably don't have your exact color, so you would have to mix your color from several different colors.

I found Fiebings leather dye to be the best. If your area still has a shoe repair shop, you can get it there. Or order from their website.
I wasn't thinking about using leather dye of the actual color, but was thinking of a clear dye or coating (since the actual color is still there).

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Try the Fiebings website. See what they offer. They are experts in the art of coloring, and caring for leather. Send them a message, they should be able to advise you on the best product to do the job.

Might be a good idea to take a pic of the spot and send it to them, if their site allows uploaded file attachments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts