LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My windshield wipers on my 1997 Trans Am do not work at all. I dont hear any noise at any position the switch is in. The washer tab does not work either but the cruise control does and the security light is on; not sure if the security light would have anything to do with the problem. I have checked all fuses and they are all good. I have searched the forums but each one I read has either had to deal with the wipers not parking in the right position or the wipers are not functioning in the delay position. At first I was thinking that maybe the problem is the wiper switch or wiper pulse board; but I would like to ask you all first before throwing parts at it.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Ok I looked at the charts in the manual and its saying that it could be either the wiper motor or the wiper switch. I have not been able to test the connections yet but I am hoping it is the wiper motor because it is cheaper and less of a pain than changing the wiper switch.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I swapped out the wiper motor a couple of days ago and it did not change anything so now I need to change the wiper switch. The one thing I was not looking forward to changing. Changing out the wiper motor was not as hard as I thought it would be, as long if you have the right tools and some PB blaster your good to go.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I be able to move the turn signal lever towards the steering wheel as if I have hi-beams? It does not move forward towards the dash but it does move back towards the steering wheel.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huh? You pull it back towards the steering wheel and it clicks for high beams on/off. Its not like fords that can go forward as well.
The switch will pull back towards the steering wheel but does not click at all. The T]turn signals work fine just a little slow probably because my drivers side rear side marker is out.

I know it is getting power

I know the wiper part of the switch does not work and previous owner cut the vacuam line to the washer pump in atleast 4 pieces. I will check the wires later on today. I have a feeling that he might have cut some wires down there too.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I sent the car to the shop to get the wiper switch installed today since I dont know anything about electrical work and I didnt want to forget where everything goes; while I was there working on something else the mechanic told me that the switch wasnt even plugged in. I know you'll said check all the wires first which I honestly did not do. I only checked some wires. So in the end my wipers work but I dont have high beams because the lever does not click, but I can live without high beams for now. Thank you everybody that has helped me solve this problem. Now on to the next problem lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.