LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What made you decide to buy what you bought mustang,gtp,camaro,trans am,lt1,ls1 etc.

I bought my lt1 for a number of reasons. First fast car id ever ridden in was a 93 lt1 pace car. I loved the body style. I love the motor and how it sounds with headers,exhaust cammed etc. I love my interior. And after wrecking my honda i came so close to ownign a silver z28 96 lt1. I WAS SET. I ended up with a v6 bird planning to swap the motor in my garage i had actually kept an sbc. That motor ws sold to a kid who said hed put it to good use. It still sits. Then i said screw it ill jsut spend the money on an ls1 i got as far as the motor and realized i was out of cash and had no more money for the suspension parts and other little shit id need to make it happen. Sold all of it. Kept my bird stock minus open headers. It was loud and i got lots of looks and was asked many times if it was a formula. But i wanted a damn lt1. I convinced my parents to let me set a v8 in their driveway so finally after so many years of waiting the search was on for my perfect car. I found my price range i could afford. I found numerous cars the ones that stuck otu were a 94 lt1 h/c, and a 99 red ss. Neither quite did it. THEN i found it. I found this 95 z28 with 95k on the clock, white hardtop (i dont really like t-tops) slp loudmouth already on it. Just to give you an idea how much i liked this particular car. I sold my z28 on sunday. On Tuesday i had that car in my driveway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looking for a L98 Formula, couldnt find one so I started looking at the early LT1 cars, keep in mind this was in mid 00, a 98 LS1 might have sold for 16K or so. Way over my budget at the time, also plenty of really fast LT1 cars at the time, so I got one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'll save my pre-muscle car stuff to spare myself the embarrasement. :D

I wanted a new Mustang GT as my first car was an 88 Mustang 2.3L. I read Mustang mags and found letter after letter about stock LS1 Camaros and Firebirds beating modded Mustangs, so I started to do some more research. I remembered the LS1 WS6 commercials and knew I wanted a Trans Am (WS6 was out of my price range).

Wanted a black 6 speed, but ran across a great deal on this red auto, so after a test drive I had to have it. The rest is history...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Boss was selling it, I needed a decent car, I love F-bodies(and previous car was a 95 Camaro Z28), was in the market for a 3rd Gen, and I got a good deal. :D My boss then bought an 04 GTO(great having a boss thats into cars). Also my it had a Gen I SBC in it and my dad knows them very very well. Plus I prefer old cars to new and at 20 years old it is certainly not new.

·
Registered
153 Posts
wanted this or a contour svt, after researching the svt's i realized they werent gonna cut it so i looked into the gp's some more and found some in the area. after a few near sales (sold out from underneath me) i found the gtp and the rest is history

·
Registered
74 Posts
my 88 wasnt treating me well. i wanted more power and something better on gas and all that such. i was looking at a 95 T/A with everything (auto) for insanely cheap, but the guy sold it. i started making adds online for ANY 6 speed LT1. i didnt bother considering a hard top auto or anything of that such, but i found a black AWESOME lookin 6 speed T/A in florida with hooker catback, spec stage 2 clutch, ect for like 5500 i think it was, but the guys dad sold it b4 i could put down a deposite. i made a thread on cz28.com and found a red 95 Z in atlanta with bilstein shocks in the rear, SLPs in the front, SLP clutch, SLP short throw, all poly bushings, and other small stuff like that. it was in near mint condition and fully dealer maintained out the ass. i met the guy in TN about 3 months ago and bought it

it has alot of miles but it runs like its brand new and it still burns 2nd gear with ease; even with my crappy driving.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I got my black 93 T/A in March 2000 because I had just lemon lawed my brand new 99 T/A a month earlier. I had been looking at C4 LT1 vette's but stumbled across my T/A for $9K which was dirt cheap at time.

I got the Purple Pearl 93 T/A in June of 2003 because the previous owner was selling it for a paltry $6K and I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Had a '99 black Firebird 6 & wanted more. Traded it for an '02 silver ground effects Z, but just 2 days later saw the 35th & had to have her.

Had her shipped from Maryland & haven't looked back.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 85 is a kinda cool story.

My mother has worked for the same Pontiac dealership for like 28 years now. I pretty much grew up there. When I was little I used to hang out at the dealership all day. I'd wash cars and keep the lot clean, cut the lawn and stuff. I loved Firebirds and Trans Ams. Well in 1985 they had a black and gold Trans Am in the showroom. I fell in love with the car. I sat in it and cleaned it everyday like it was my own. I tried to get my folks to buy the car for me so when I turned 16 I could have it. I was 12 at the time. You can guess how that turned out. :D Anyways the car got sold a coule weeks later, and I was all upset.

Fastforward to March of 1994 I had just sold the car I was driving, kinda weird some guy offered me money for it out of the blue and I took it, and I was looking for a car. Mom called me and said to come down to the dealership, they had gotten a car in I would probably be interested in. Sure shit, I drive down there and there the 85 TA was sitting in front all cleaned up. It took me like 5 seconds to ask where the paperwork was. :lmao:

It's been a financial burden on me ever since. :lmao:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Karps TA said:
My 85 is a kinda cool story.

My mother has worked for the same Pontiac dealership for like 28 years now. I pretty much grew up there. When I was little I used to hang out at the dealership all day. I'd wash cars and keep the lot clean, cut the lawn and stuff. I loved Firebirds and Trans Ams. Well in 1985 they had a black and gold Trans Am in the showroom. I fell in love with the car. I sat in it and cleaned it everyday like it was my own. I tried to get my folks to buy the car for me so when I turned 16 I could have it. I was 12 at the time. You can guess how that turned out. :D Anyways the car got sold a coule weeks later, and I was all upset.

Fastforward to March of 1994 I had just sold the car I was driving, kinda weird some guy offered me money for it out of the blue and I took it, and I was looking for a car. Mom called me and said to come down to the dealership, they had gotten a car in I would probably be interested in. Sure shit, I drive down there and there the 85 TA was sitting in front all cleaned up. It took me like 5 seconds to ask where the paperwork was. :lmao:

It's been a financial burden on me ever since. :lmao:

that EXACT car or one like it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I came across my 85 for the first time when I was working at a local quick lube while living in TN. I attempted to talk the owner out of the car then but failed. I picked up my good friend to head out the dragstrip one night in my previous TA and he told me that Bert (the guy who owned the car) was wanting to sell it. It had been a year and he wanted a grand for a car that had not moved in over nine months so i took some time to think about it and decide to go for it. The car had almost everything I had wanted TPI, t-tops,posi and the WS6 package. I bought the car brought it home and awaited the sale of my other TA so I could get everything set to drive it. I got it in good running condition with little cost or effort.

I drove the car for about five months before the mod bug bit me. Michael( the friend who told me about the car) and I installed the LT headers that fall and a little over a year later Michael passed away. The car is now the last piece of very good friendship that I have left so even though it is now in pieces in the garage (broken crank) I now that I cannot let it go and I will drive it again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Karps TA said:
The exact car. Original owner traded it in on a 94 Anniversary car.
Wow, that's awesome. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Camaro : Guy's wife made him trade it in because"it was too sexy". I pounced on it!
The T/A : girlfriend brought it home asking "Can I keep it?" Hells , yeah!
The dually : powermad brainfart

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had a few Fbody's before(thirdgen's). My 89GTA project was a failure(did a lot of things wrong) and was driving a LHS as a daily driver. Was kind of itching to get back into the Fbody's. Drove past a local dealer and saw my future car. I wasn't too interested because I wanted a T/A(all my thirdgens were T/A's) but I checked out the Z anyway. I mainly got it because of the deal that was made. It was November so I guess the dealer figured it'd be on the lot for a while. I brought my own financing so to the dealer I was paying cash. I was on the lot for $12,250. I walked in and said I'd give them $11,500 cash and for them to give me $900 for my trade. So I ended up getting the car for $10,600.

Not too bad of a deal. :D

I still want a T/A but I can't complain about the car one bit. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i got my gto because my 2000 gtp was falling to pieces. by 62k, i already had done a trans in it, fan blower motor, and an idler pulley seized up and wiped out several plastic idler pulleys. I was just sick of it. I wasn't even looking at any gm cars at that point, but my brother saw an ad in the paper for a ridiculously low lease on a gto. And naturally it was at the same pontiac dealer that I had a big dispute with over the trans when it went. So I went in and drove it a yellow 6 speed 04, and fell in love with it - not the yellow, but the way the car drove, the interior, etc. And they had the exact car on the lot that I wanted option wise, impulse blue - 6 speed, with the black interior, so I went in, told them I was bitter over the trans, and basically named my own numbers, and they bit. At the time 04 gtos were going for ridiculously cheap because once the announcement was made that the 05 was gonna have some new goodies - namely the LS1, bigger brakes, and some exterior upgrades - the 04's stopped selling. And I even had a sign from the gtp to sell. As I was leaving the pontiac dealer after looking at the gto, my abs light came on for no apparent reason.

As for my iroc, I got a red 88 sport coupe a couple weeks before I was 16. A few months before that, a woman my dad worked with had a silver 87 sport coupe for sale, and he was going to help me buy it. She wanted too much for it though, but I had sat in it, rode in it, and I liked it a lot, so I focused my search mainly on thirdgens after that. I found my red 88 in the paper, called about it, went and saw it, and that was that. My friend liked it a lot, so when he came into a small inheritance a couple years later, we went on a search for a thirdgen for him. He wound up with a red 87 350tpi iroc. A few years later it wound up with a bad trans and he wound up with a kid on the way, so I sold my sport coupe, and got the iroc off him for next to nothing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got my Caprice because I wanted something V8/RWD/4-door (kids) and decent performance. I always liked the Impala SS, but didn't like the buy-in. And Mother MoPar hasn't offered anything remotely close to what I want since the 80's (well - until the last year or so, but I'm not dropping 30Large). I had been driving an '88 Formula and was having premonitions of back spasms from trying to put a kid in a babyseat in the back of it. I went to a local dealership that sells decomissioned police and government vehicles and checked out a few Caprices. They kept tossing me keys and letting me test-drive them until I found the one I wanted. A fairly clean, low-mile (for a copcar) '95 9C1. White with tan interior. I couldn't wipe the Corky grin off my face after I drove it.

I still get a laugh out of peoples' reaction when I pull up behind them on the highway. :D

I've been slowly transforming it into what I want for three years now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts