LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 Trans Am and its got the steering wheel contols but they dont work I checked all the fuse's all there all good. any one know why its not working?

·
Registered
3 Posts
found this on the web...
The fix for the steering wheel radio controls on the 93-94 Firebird's The problem is there are rubber plungers under the buttons that activate a small push down switch when you push on the buttons. The plungers melted for lack of a better word. Take the air bag off the steering wheel (be sure to disconnect the battery first). There are four torque head screws that hold the air bag to the steering wheel. Then disconnect the wire for the horn, the connector for the air bag, and the connector for the steering wheel controls. Once you have that out, there are four more torque screws that hold the metal bracket that mounts the buttons to the bracket. Once you have the bracket off the air bag you'll have to take the buttons off the bracket, two screws on each side. Now that the buttons are off the bracket you'll need to take the buttons apart. Two more screws in each button for a total of four. Now that the buttons are apart take a paper clip and clean out the holes where the plungers were. It may be pretty messy if they were melted. Once you have the holes cleaned out find a straw that comes with a can off WD-40 or spray cleaner. They are usually really thin and red. Cut off a small piece (and I mean SMALL) and put it in one of the holes and put the button part of the buttons back on and try it. If it's the right length you should here the switch under the button click. You can even run it back out of the car and try it to make sure it's working. Once you get the right size, just keep cutting the straw till you get them all filled. Then just put it all back together. From 4thtimes charm: What I did is follow the steps above only I used #7 finishing nails. They fit the hole perfectly the head of the nail provides a better contact patch on the button. I cut the nails with a pair of side snips and filed of the rough edges. 2 years now and all my buttons still work. My buttons clicked just not enough to actually make the buttons work. From RicoDeElite: The fuse for the Steering wheel controls is in the fuse box to the left of the dashboard. Open the drivers side door, and look at the side of the dash, remove that panel and look at #17 (its the fuse all the way down the bottom right corner) and you'll see it. A 15 AMP fuse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the system in all stock, I have replaced the ignition cylinder but the controls didnt work before that. Ill try what 1994 said.

thanks guy's ill let you know if i fixed it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All done

so I did the steering conrtols with some nails and its working GREAT! I used my dremel tool and it made it easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
this is a great thread thanks for all the awsome information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
just did what 1994 said and worked perfectly. that was the last thing not working on my 25th anniversary :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but having recently bought my 94 Vert, this was the only thing wrong with this original 22,000 mile car. I removed the controls, cleaned out the melted plastic plungers, and used uncoated 3/32" brazing rod cut to length as the plungers. Works great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts