LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both people are late 20's / early 30's in age, if that matters....

Example A:

This person watches BattleStar Galactica every week... enjoys the show, and says it is the best show on TV in his opinion.

This person also will go see the new Star Wars movies, but chooses to wait a week or two to let the fanatic crowds thin out.

Example B:

This person rushes out to see the news Star Wars movies on opening night.

He also has a big AT-AT toy on display in his living room.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
uh.... both equally geeky....

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I am saying B is the bigger dork. Why?

Take me for example. I enjoy good sci fi. But I'm not a fanboy of any particular series. I like my Start Trek, not a huge Star Wars fan, and I think the new BSG is a very good show.

However, I don't do sci fi internet sites, I don't own any paraphenelia from any of those shows, models, clothes, etc. And I am happy waiting a few weeks to see Start Wars rather than going on opening night with all the freaks dressed up as Boba Fet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Why is it dorkier to see Star Wars opening night over seeing something like Dukes of Hazzard? Movie is a movie IMO.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Karps TA said:
Why is it dorkier to see Star Wars opening night over seeing something like Dukes of Hazzard? Movie is a movie IMO.
I doubt there were throngs of folks at the Dukes Of Hazzard on opening night wearing Bo and Luke masks, and carrying toy crossbows around having little play fights....

Also, conversely, how is it dorky at all to watch a TV show?

And you can't ignore the whole "toy on display" thing...

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Karps TA said:
Because opening night of a move as huge as Star Wars brings out all the geeks. DOH doesn't have the same issues...OKwell there might be DOH geeks but Star Wars vs. something like Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Case closed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think you're a geek if you have to be at any movie opening night. Shit opening weekend even. I can't distinguish between the 2. If the most exciting thing for you is being at a movie when it opens, you might want to try playing with loaded firearms.

As for the dressing up part, yeah it's geeky. But how different is that then going to a car show with a Chevy Rules T-shirt on? Or even worse the goofs that when they ride their bicycle put on the whole Lance Armstrong ensemble. It's the same damn thing. You're a big fan and you want to show it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Karps TA said:
I think you're a geek if you have to be at any movie opening night. Shit opening weekend even. I can't distinguish between the 2. If the most exciting thing for you is being at a movie when it opens, you might want to try playing with loaded firearms.

As for the dressing up part, yeah it's geeky. But how different is that then going to a car show with a Chevy Rules T-shirt on? Or even worse the goofs that when they ride their bicycle put on the whole Lance Armstrong ensemble. It's the same damn thing. You're a big fan and you want to show it.

Good points on both fronts.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Yeah but I don't dress up AS my favorite car when I go to a car show..There's a huge difference IMO between wearing a fanboy t-shirt and dressing up like your favorite character.

You don't think its even a little dorky to dress up like Darth Vader and go out in public to see a movie?

The car show example breaks down further because its a car show full of car people...the more appopriate analogy is a Star Wars convention, not a movie theater.

I never saw people at Bulls games putting on Black face and shaving their heads to look like Michael Jordan.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Yeah but I don't dress up AS my favorite car when I go to a car show..There's a huge difference IMO between wearing a fanboy t-shirt and dressing up like your favorite character.
Good counterpoint.

You don't think its even a little dorky to dress up like Darth Vader and go out in public to see a movie?
I agree totally (This coming from a guy who uses "Darth" in his Internet handle... (have regretted that to a degree for a long time....)

I never saw people at Bulls games putting on Black face and shaving their heads to look like Michael Jordan.

:eek:
:werd:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
No but I see them put the #23 jersey on. And I've seen plenty of fans shave their heads and paint them. I don't think that's the best arguement

NASCAR fans paint and sticker their cars up to show how much they love their drivers. I see more of them, then SW fans painting their cars to look like Xwing fighters.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Karps TA said:
NASCAR fans paint and sticker their cars up to show how much they love their drivers. I see more of them, then SW fans painting their cars to look like Xwing fighters.

I once saw a 1987ish Plymouth Reliant... painted up to look like the USS Reliant from Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan.

Was all grey, with "NCC-1864" on the hood, warp engines painted on the quarters and a torpedo lanucher "hoop: on the hood ... even the license plates were NCC1864.

:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Karps TA said:
You realize you admitted your dorkiness for being able to provide that much info on the vehicle. :D

I know.... :homer:

But, hey, what can I say? :D :banana:

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Aw, the Reliant was ghey anyway...if you absolutely must emulate a Star Trek ship on your car, go with the Excelsior NX-2000.

Transwarp Drive > Flux Capacitor

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Aw, the Reliant was ghey anyway...if you absolutely must emulate a Star Trek ship on your car, go with the Excelsior NX-2000.

Transwarp Drive > Flux Capacitor

Michael J. Fox = owned.

·
Registered
97 Posts
NCC-1701-D >>>>>> All Star Trek Ships. :p

I honestly dont really like BSG. I am a big Star Wars and Star Trek fan though. Up until recently way more into SW than Star Trek. But I have gotten bored with SW and Im more into Star Trek right now. I will admit to owning a bunch of SW figures, an original Snowspeeder, a couple t-shirts, all the movies except EPIII on DVD(plus the OT special edition on VHS). A bunch of games and a crap load of expanded universe books.

Call me dork, geek, whatever. :finger: ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts