LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Global Moderator
13,167 Posts
Most all the military bases in the country have auto self repair shops for their personal. at least they did when I was in during the 70's. Great idea.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Most all the military bases in the country have auto self repair shops for their personal. at least they did when I was in during the 70's. Great idea.
They still do. Tucson has one, non-military. Cool stuff. I've always wanted to open one of my own. I think Florida has a few, but not sure what cities.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wow that's neat, this is the first time i've ever heard of it. Great Idea

·
Registered
891 Posts
The website says $10-$15 per minute! Not sure if you guys did the math but that's $600-$900 per hour. I'm thinking even the stealership is cheaper than that.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The website says $10-$15 per minute! Not sure if you guys did the math but that's $600-$900 per hour. I'm thinking even the stealership is cheaper than that.
It says $25/hr or $10/15min; or $10 for 15 minutes (1/4 hour).

·
Registered
891 Posts
haha I'm an idiot. I read it wrong. Now $25/hr is something I could sink my teeth into!

·
Global Moderator
13,167 Posts
I guess prices have gone up. When I was in the military it was 50 cents a hour and another 50 cents/hour for a stall with a lift. Of course when I was in, Fred Flintstone was driving around.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'd rather use my Jack stands than pay 25/hr though. Still great thing to be able to do :thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've always used jack stands, but as I get older I really want a lift. I've priced out building a garage with a lift at my house......that's about 20 grand! I'll stick with the jack stands for now.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i thought about opening a place like that locally, in an old building somewhere

i had a business plan drafted which was profitable; and would make going there to work very affordable, and there are tons of people that would love having it.

i planned to have 2 or 3 hyd. hoists, and half a dozen dugout pits in an old building somewhere.

you could have a small tool shop with stationary tools and make people pay a minimal fee to use them, just to cover upkeep (cutting bits, repair, etc). didnt bring a torque wrench? angle grinder? welder? no big deal, couple bucks and you're covered.

could provide some good brushes and cleaning supplies, and force people to make their area spotless when they're done using it, or they lose their membership.. that way you barely need janitorial staff, i could have almost run it by myself.

but the thing is, i'd have to borrow money to open a place like that.

and guess what the bank says when they see my business plan?

it's a good idea but liability these days is a big..big issue.

even if you make people sign a waiver and get good insurance or whatever, there's no way to truly protect yourself if a lift breaks and falls on someone or whatever.

to cover the potential damage to the company i'd have to charge a premium, making it one of those $50/hr+ things that nobody would want to use. it stops making sense.

you can hire a real mechanic for that kind of money, and sit there drinking beer while your car gets fixed, and you dont have to pay for tools or upkeep.

i hope everyone realizes that's a big part of why so much stuff is so friggn expensive these days. liability. warning labels. insurance. accident coverage.

lame

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i thought about opening a place like that locally, in an old building somewhere

i had a business plan drafted which was profitable; and would make going there to work very affordable, and there are tons of people that would love having it.

i planned to have 2 or 3 hyd. hoists, and half a dozen dugout pits in an old building somewhere.

you could have a small tool shop with stationary tools and make people pay a minimal fee to use them, just to cover upkeep (cutting bits, repair, etc). didnt bring a torque wrench? angle grinder? welder? no big deal, couple bucks and you're covered.

could provide some good brushes and cleaning supplies, and force people to make their area spotless when they're done using it, or they lose their membership.. that way you barely need janitorial staff, i could have almost run it by myself.

but the thing is, i'd have to borrow money to open a place like that.

and guess what the bank says when they see my business plan?

it's a good idea but liability these days is a big..big issue.

even if you make people sign a waiver and get good insurance or whatever, there's no way to truly protect yourself if a lift breaks and falls on someone or whatever.

to cover the potential damage to the company i'd have to charge a premium, making it one of those $50/hr+ things that nobody would want to use. it stops making sense.

you can hire a real mechanic for that kind of money, and sit there drinking beer while your car gets fixed, and you dont have to pay for tools or upkeep.

i hope everyone realizes that's a big part of why so much stuff is so friggn expensive these days. liability. warning labels. insurance. accident coverage.

lame
Hey Steveo, I've done this exact same thing. Spreadsheets and all.

The only way to make it profitable was to put in more bays. The work schedule for the ASE assistance techs was as such that it would be open 11 hours per day 7 days a week. But I needed at least 20 bays (10 flat, 7 lift, 1 paint booth, 2 exhaust/welding).

Start up costs would've been in the millions though (about $5million) for the shop I would've built (contracting tools with Lowes or Sears). The Lifts were leased with maintenance for liability.

Max gross monthly revenues were easily in the millions; min gross -assuming 10% capacity utilization- was approx $100-300K monthly. I even had the target demographic lined up. HOA's are my friend in this case....

Of course I had a lot of other synergistic stores close by or under the same roof (parts stores, paint stores, salvage yards, food, barber shop, and day care, along with being a Factory Five certified builder among others). I even had the oil collection being used to power a generator to offset overhead. A full technical library and even a car inspired arcade on site! Plus discounted rates for moonlighters.

Meh, one day.... It's that whole start up cost thing.....

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Global Moderator
13,167 Posts
That 5 mil start up price is probably why you mostly find them on military bases. Our tax dollars pay for the shops. Wish all our tax dollars were spent this well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used the one at Fort Lee for a brake job and fuel filter in 2012 on the old benz I had at the time. I do not remember there being a cost. Since I can't remember, the cost must have been very small if there was one.

This dream garage idea needs to become a franchise. Thats what I'd do if I had the money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts