LS1LT1 Forum banner

What's your opinion on how GM should handle the leaked 2009 Camaro photos?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  CamTom12 
#1 ·
State opinions!

#3 ·
who cares? it was a clay model. its not a big deal. people are going to see the car in Jan anyway. GM should be the one distributing pics to us anyway. We are the consumers. we buy their products. so we should be able to voice our opinion when it comes to the design of the vehicle.

#4 ·
I can understand why GM is pissed. Technically the pics are thier property and they can do as they with with them.

We just had the same situation with Volvo. (I sell Volvo's) Pics of the redesigned 2007 S80 were leaked. Volvo flipped out, got most of the pics taken down and fired 23 employees.

Will GM go to that extreme? Probably not. But I can understand where they are coming from.

#5 ·
I think the No don't show them, yes its OK, then NO take them down thing has a lot of people upset (inconsistency of message), but I still agree with GM's ultimate position the pics are their property and no one has the right to have or show them w/o GM's consent.

#7 ·
lol.. well i found a pretty big ofrum with them still posted.. OH NO.. lol

#8 ·
Good question!!!

If you cannot buy one, what difference does it make anyhow? Seems very few concept cars ever hit production in its original form anyway. I think GM totally over-reacted.

#9 ·
It's stolen property.

Whoever was involved should be prosecuted just like any other theft crime.

Anyone who says they have no reason to be mad, and they "hate GM" because of the way they are acting are hypocrits. If someone stole something from you... you'd be upset as well, and want the theieves to be found and punished.

That said, they can't do anything about it now, so they might as well try to spin this into a positive.

#10 · (Edited)
Let me clarify, when I say "GM over-reacted", I wasn't condoning the open-publicizing, and yes, it is GM property. I am going out on a limb and offer (2) PERHAPS outrageous strategies:

(a) GM intentionally let it leak to view public reaction, and if negative, CRY FOUL
Same scenario, positive feedback, GM is a GOD - NO FOUL CRIED

(b) The 5th gen Camaro proto-type design wasn't complete or ready for print, and it
was prematurely released by guilty party.

Is it worth criminal prosecution? I think not, but it is unethical and immoral to steal, and my analytical mind raises the question: "What was to be gained by exposing this picture, and who would benefit or lose as a result of this release?"

Kinda makes you wonder, and hence my explanation in the event my initial response was misinterpreted!

#12 ·
Yeah, given the amount of leaked pics of late, I can definately see why they may have overreacted... That could get really frustrating really fast.

Imagine Scott Settlemire fretting for months over making sure that the Camaro unveiling be just perfect, working out every last detail to make sure that everything goes right and the way he wants it...

...only to have some employee leak the picture of the concept. I'd be pissed as hell.

Also, they're GM's property and the decision to press charges is theirs. I can see someone loosing a job over this (there are such things as binding non-disclosure agreements. I'm sure some folks connected to the project had to sign them, or recieved them verbally).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.