LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have the stock 10 bolt rear with 3.23 gears. I was just wondering what the likely breaking point is? I'd like to eventually get up to about 400hp with the help of like a 75 shot of nitrous in the far future. Is the rear end going to hold up to this? Also would slicks have any effect as well? Like, I'd like to get a pair of 15" rims and some cheater slicks next summer...will that hurt the rear end? I'm just wondering how far I can go on the stock rear?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Slicks DEFINITELY make a difference. Shouldn't be too hard to understand why.

The good news is automatic cars are easier on the rear ends due to less shock involved on launch. There are many stock 10-bolt auto cars well into the 11s on ET Streets & Nittos. The 75 shoot will definitely cause a shock but if 1) if you don't hit it off the line it will help and 2) your total HP still isn't going to be in 10-bolt breaking territory.

At your power levels currently you've got nothing to worry about for a while. When you start getting up over 400hp to the wheels you need to start thinking about going to a 12-bolt.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
2) your total HP still isn't going to be in 10-bolt breaking territory.

At your power levels currently you've got nothing to worry about for a while. When you start getting up over 400hp to the wheels you need to start thinking about going to a 12-bolt.
i have heard of people breaking theirs at stock HP levels, a4 or m6 i do not recall

it varies from car to car, ive heard people break them stock and i know a guy that was running 11s with the stock rear

apperently ive bent somthing, either the housing or the carrier, and ive yet to break 12s

·
Registered
612 Posts
i know a guy with a M6 cam and 150 shot runnin on a built 10 bolt. has a stud girdle stronger axles. hes runnin mid 11s. im hopin my rear holds out for awhile, but a 3200 stall, F13, and 100+ shot might have somehtin to say about that

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I believe we have a local white T/A LS1 that is running a 100 dryshot on stock rear/stock manifolds, and running low 12's.

I say "borrowed time", and someone told me a while back (not sure who or when) that the stock rear should be capable of 400 rwhlhp w/o major issues, but you are still pressing your luck IMO, especially w/M6.

Not sure if it was BS, truth, or opinion! It all depends on tires, launching technique, etc. as to how long the OEM rear will hold out.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
To answer the subject question literally...

paperweight?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Transamman25 said:
anyone in here running 4:11's ? my 6 speeder has one hell of a first gear .. good to 55 or so before i slap to second (a little high?).. seems to me like 4:11's would dramaticly step up performance
Sure, just don't expect the stock rear to hold together at the track with those gears. Numerically bigger gears are weaker because there's more teeth crammed onto the same size ring gear, meaning the teeth have to be thinner and therefore weaker.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
CamTom12 said:
To answer the subject question literally...

paperweight?
you know when i first read the thread title before posting, thats what i thought of :roflmao:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
LiquidFire350 said:
you know when i first read the thread title before posting, thats what i thought of :roflmao:
Glad I'm not the only one, lol

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
The rear ends on A4 car can put up with alot more abuse than on an M6 car.

That being said, you should be fine. If you are going to go with a slick though, don't go over a 26" tire. Then you will most likely break it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Transamman25 said:
anyone in here running 4:11's ? my 6 speeder has one hell of a first gear .. good to 55 or so before i slap to second (a little high?).. seems to me like 4:11's would dramaticly step up performance
well, i have stock gears in my Formula, and i shift @ 6300 and thats going 45mph...so 55mph is a little high...maybe you have 3.23's or 2.73s...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
gear strength 410

i'm doing a gear change in my ws6 and am reading several posts that lower number gears are the way to go for strength, I have a built motor 400rwhp or so so I really don't need gear and have a 6 spped with a spec 4 clutch, i do have a stud girdle, what normally breaks on these?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Ring gear normally breaks...as in teeth shred off, usually due to the pinion gear walking up the ring gear....too much tq collapses the crush sleeve and the pinion gets out of whack. But axles will break and even the housing will snap. The Spec 4 clutch = certain death to the rear end IMO...too much grab and no slip means all that shock is going straight to the gears.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
too much tq collapses the crush sleeve and the pinion gets out of whack.
so your saying a solid spacer would be the way to go

when i changed mine, i didnt know how that would work with the shims so i went with the crush sleeve

1 - 20 of 31 Posts