LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i plan to spend 15,000$ on my car max my figures ad up to needing that much and i would rather not go over that amount as i know it is hard to get all my money back. That 15k will cover the stuff i want the suspension,new shortblock,heads,all new steering components etc etc so on. My question is since I personally am not looking to make a huge whole alot of power with this car being as im selling it, in yalls opinion would it be more appealing to get a small cam like a hotcam so i dont scare off potential buyers or will most people like a big cam? I can buy either but as i said i dont want to be scaring off a buyer if the parents think its too much for their son or something. Any sugestions?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Why put $15K into a car and then sell it? You won't get but maybe 30% of that money back. I'd save and put in on a car you are going to keep.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i might keep it. Keep in midn dropping 15k into a car will make it more of my own so possibly i will keep it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Personally, if I were looking for a car, I'd want it untouched. As a buyer you have no idea the experience of the installer that did the mods, and most of the time its not what you wanted to do if you had a stock car.

If you're going to sell it, dont touch it.

If you're going to keep it, go big.

·
Registered
145 Posts
take that $15K and buy a used LS1 car for $10K, spend $5K on mods, and forget what an LT1 ever was!!! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
lol...you'll see the light one day lil buddy. ;)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I would say get really good heads and go with a relatively tame cam. I would more than likely not buy a car that had internal engine modifications done to it unless it was documented that it was done by a professional. I'd still be pretty iffy though. My friends dad has some of the best heads you can buy for the LS1 and then a pretty small cam and hes making 440 at the wheels, Something like that. His car is still completely street livable. His son even learned to drive a manual in that car, and he had no troubles learning. I know an LT1 probably wont be able to push out those numbers but im sure you could get some pretty respectable ones.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I think before you make your decision to put the money into it, and where to put it, I'd decide if you were going to sell it or not. Make up your mind, because you don't want to blow all that money and then end up selling it for such a net loss. I think that would be a pretty foolish move. If you are leaning towards keeping it though, go big, as previously mentioned. I'd personally never buy a car that was heavily modded.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I vote take 15K and buy a first gen. Unless you own a classic car, you WILL lose money when putting it into a car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with everyone else. You need to decide whether or not you are going to keep the car first. But, if I were looking for a new F-body...nothing would be more appealing to me than a nice big cam with a really lopey idle. Of course I would want reciepts showing proof of the cam and all the work done.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do a 396 stroker,built trans,denny's ds,12 bolt rear,bmr suspension and a wolfe craft 6point cage,upgrade the fuel system and install a 2 stage nitrous set up.

That should cover your $15,000.00,then sell it to me for $7,500.00 :) J/K

You need to decide wether you want the car,don't throw money at a car you don't like or want.

Use the $15,000.00 as a down payment on a house :) at least its an apreciating asset,not a depreciating one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts