LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you A4 guys and gals that are running a stall converter, whats it like? I just placed an order for a new reman. 4l60e with a 2800 stall in it and im curious what its like to drive a car with a stall converter so i am hoping someone can describe it to me lol. I know its a strange request but i have never driven a car with a stall.....Thanks !:smile2:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Well.....I wouldn't bother with a higher stall torque converter unless I already had done heads/cam/rear gears. But that's just me......

More stall = additional transmission slippage coming off idle. If you're running a stock(ish) setup, additional stall will feel like the car is dragging a boat anchor when you engage the throttle. The more stall, the more sluggish the car will feel.

More gear lessens this affect, as will additional low RPM power (heads/cam).

On the other hand, when you're already cruising and you NAIL the throttle, the transmission will more quickly drop into the next lower gear, will build RPMs a bit quicker, and really gets your engine into the meat of its power band in a hurry. This results in a much more urgent acceleration! >:)

Choose your upgrades wisely. And in the future.....you may want to ask about an upgrade BEFORE you make the purchase! :grin2:

KW

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well.....I wouldn't bother with a higher stall torque converter unless I already had done heads/cam/rear gears. But that's just me......

More stall = additional transmission slippage coming off idle. If you're running a stock(ish) setup, additional stall will feel like the car is dragging a boat anchor when you engage the throttle. The more stall, the more sluggish the car will feel.

More gear lessens this affect, as will additional low RPM power (heads/cam).

On the other hand, when you're already cruising and you NAIL the throttle, the transmission will more quickly drop into the next lower gear, will build RPMs a bit quicker, and really gets your engine into the meat of its power band in a hurry. This results in a much more urgent acceleration! >:)

Choose your upgrades wisely. And in the future.....you may want to ask about an upgrade BEFORE you make the purchase! :grin2:

KW
Thanks for the input. I am running a new rebuilt LT4 with a lt4 hot cam, long tube headers, light head work and 1:6 rr. The transmission i am ordering is a new reman. 4l60e with upgrades. I was just curious as to what it feelt like running a stall and whether it was necessary, advised or needed. As far as as the purchase, i am to pay tomorrow and have until then to make any changes to my build. Thanks again KW, I always appreciate the help and advice!

BTW, My car currently has 2:73 gears but im considering changing them to a 3:73.....Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Every torque converter has a stall speed, so a "stall" converter is a bit of a misnomer. What you're looking at is a looser converter (higher stall speed).

I would not run a 2800 rpm converter with a a CC503 camshaft. The 503 is just not a very big cam, and 2800 would be a bit high for it. A decent 2400-2500 rpm converter would wake it up nicely, not generate a bunch of excess heat, and save you some money.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
2800 sounds like a poor converter. I love yank converters and I'd stick an ss3200 in a bolt on car. I had the ss3600 in my 385 lt1 and you wouldn't know it was there unless I told you. I switched to a pt4000 and it slipped a touch more and a bit more noticeable but I went 1.5 60's and trapped great as well. Gears and a great trans cooler are a must. A proper tune as well especially with the higher rpm converters. When you mash the gas, it'll basically slip to about the advertised stall speed and you'll go much faster much sooner. Takes all the low no power rpm out of the equation. If you are stuck with what you got, you'll be alright. You just won't be optimal for the setup. I think an ss3600 by yank would be great for street/strip fun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2800 sounds like a poor converter. I love yank converters and I'd stick an ss3200 in a bolt on car. I had the ss3600 in my 385 lt1 and you wouldn't know it was there unless I told you. I switched to a pt4000 and it slipped a touch more and a bit more noticeable but I went 1.5 60's and trapped great as well. Gears and a great trans cooler are a must. A proper tune as well especially with the higher rpm converters. When you mash the gas, it'll basically slip to about the advertised stall speed and you'll go much faster much sooner. Takes all the low no power rpm out of the equation. If you are stuck with what you got, you'll be alright. You just won't be optimal for the setup. I think an ss3600 by yank would be great for street/strip fun.

Thanks for the input fellers, i actually made a mistake...my cam is actually the LT4 hot cam...I ended up settling on a 3200 stall after much reading and watching similar setups to mine on the net...Hope i made a wise decision......

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
......BTW, My car currently has 2:73 gears but im considering changing them to a 3:73.....Thoughts?
The sooner you swap gears.....the better!!!!!

As far as which gears, a lot of the F-body crowd tend to favor the 3.42 gear set. The 3.73's are much more suitable to the heavier cars, which is why the B-body owners favor them so much. That having been said, 3.73's are definitely manageable in a F-body.....they'll definitely give you more kick off the line.

As for that Hot cam; I.....would.....NOT.....go with a higher stall converter without 3.42/3.73 gears!! The hot cam is a hi-RPM runner and is quit 'soggy' on the low end. A 2800/3200 stall converter will amplify the effect!

If you've already paid for the converter.....fine. Keep it and install it when you get your gears. But if you install it now without the gears.....I'd bet a dollar that you won't be very happy with the results.

Finally.......what brand torque converter did you get?

KW

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sooner you swap gears.....the better!!!!!

As far as which gears, a lot of the F-body crowd tend to favor the 3.42 gear set. The 3.73's are much more suitable to the heavier cars, which is why the B-body owners favor them so much. That having been said, 3.73's are definitely manageable in a F-body.....they'll definitely give you more kick off the line.

As for that Hot cam; I.....would.....NOT.....go with a higher stall converter without 3.42/3.73 gears!! The hot cam is a hi-RPM runner and is quit 'soggy' on the low end. A 2800/3200 stall converter will amplify the effect!

If you've already paid for the converter.....fine. Keep it and install it when you get your gears. But if you install it now without the gears.....I'd bet a dollar that you won't be very happy with the results.

Finally.......what brand torque converter did you get?

KW
KW, Thanks again for the input...as for the converter it is a Dynamic Converter 10" Street ......It has not been installed as of yet....What stall would you recommend with my current 2:73 gears....it may be a little bit before i can afford to do the swap....Thanks!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
KW,.......What stall would you recommend with my current 2:73 gears....it may be a little bit before i can afford to do the swap....Thanks!
Stock. Seriously.......the 2.73's are a tame gear.

A higher stall torque converter with a stock cam can be fun. But a higher stall torque converter with the hot cam (and 2.73 gears).....I predict it'll perform pretty weak at low RPMs.

KW

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock. Seriously.......the 2.73's are a tame gear.

A higher stall torque converter with a stock cam can be fun. But a higher stall torque converter with the hot cam (and 2.73 gears).....I predict it'll perform pretty weak at low RPMs.

KW
So basically your saying that with my 2:73 gears a stall is a waste?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
So basically your saying that with my 2:73 gears a stall is a waste?
Not sayin’ it’ll be a waste, I’m sayin’ it’ll be a detriment….which is worse.

A 3200 stall converter with those gears AND the hot cam will make for sloppy, sluggish driving performance for any driving other than on the freeway or race track.

In my opinion….and experience.

KW

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
A 2800 rpm converter with a 503 camshaft would be a pretty poor, sluggish setup. But, you actually have a smaller camshaft and ordered a 3200 rpm converter? Can you send it back? I seriously would send it back if you can. I wouldn't go over 2400 rpm with a hot cam.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, i am looking for a set of gears now...Going to go with 3:73 gears.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts