LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
moving this over here from the tranny section because it is more of an ecm question now. long and short of it is i have a 94 TA that has had motor and tranny swapped, but previous owner, but tranny just ate itself, concern is that it is running a 95 tranny on a 94 pcm, which according to frank is not good. now before i buy another tranny i need to know what year my pcm is because i am not sure if it was changed with the motor and tranny or not. i pulled the numbers off and called dealer dealer says same pcm for 94/95. but has different programming :craz28: do any of the other numbers on the pcm denote what year is flashed to it?

if you want to know more on why i need to know this read the post http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/automatic-transmissions-%7C-torque-converters/60962-what-transmissions-can-i-put-my-trans-am.html

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
You have a 94 pcm in car. Info taken from 4th gen parts book, available to download in sticky threads of 4th gen section.

Now having said you have a 94 pcm, that doesn't mean that somebody who owned car didn't tune to 95 specs.

The easiest way to see if tune is 94 or 95, would be to use tunercat to read contents of pcm. Then look at the table that deals with pwm. If pcm doesn't have anything on pwm, then it's got the 94 tune.

If pcm table has pwm, then it's got the 95 tune.

And the 94 pcm can only be tuned to 94 or 95. It won't accept 96 or newer obd2 info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info I will go. Get those para book dl did not even think to look there.

I don't have tuner cat or any tuner software of.net own that was in the plans but now I need a tranny so...
Can a shop check it if they are equipped for such things for know anyone off top of my head that would have it

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
GM dealers used to be able to check the pcm contents, but most of them gave up their tech 1 scanner years ago.
Anyone with tunercat can read your pcm. I suggest you try to locate a member in your area who has the program and can read your pcm.

If your willing to ship your pcm to a tuner like LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!
PCMforless or madtuner.com - Home they can read the contents of your pcm and tell you if it's programed as a 94 or 95. They would probably charge a smaller fee than the normal tuning services.

Or you can get a cable to connect your car's dlc to usb port of laptop or notebook. It's $59.99 at ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBDI OBD2 engine codes

Then get the trial version of tunercat. You can use it free for 30 days. HOWEVER, you will need to pony up 20 dollars for the $EE definition file needed to read 94 & 95 pcm's. Then you can read the pcm contents, decide if you want 94 or 95 tuning, and upload the proper stock tune, which members can provide you.

Get tunercat at www.tunercat.com

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Prowler, Long post with some additional background info... The '94 and '95 PCM's are the same part number. The difference between the '94 and '95 A4's is 1 - the software (.bin file) loaded into the PCM. 2- the wiring harness in the '95 has a brown wire added from PCM Pin D06 to the transmission connector Pin 'U' this wire is not in the '94 harness . And 3- the Transmission has a PWM (TCC Pulse Width Modulation) solenoid to soften the TC engagement. Since the same PCM was used for 2 years (94-95) on many cars (F,B, & Y body's) GM used the BCC (Broadcast code) to identify what year/model/features code was loaded when it left the plant , it's the 'BKNF' on the PCM pic above. Your code says '95/F-Body/A4. However anyone with tuning S/W could change the code, so the BCC is not a valid identifier. The only way to verify is with software that will read and display vehicle software info such as TTS DataMaster or Scan9495 they read the code load and display it.
As far as the tranny w/o searching I don't know if there is a conversion to put a 95 4L60 E into a 94, as far as I know they are not compatable unless the code is updated and the wire added. But I'm not an expert on that..since yours was running apparently something was done to make it work..

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Info I got came from 4th gen parts manual for firebird. Page 529 0f 2347. Even though it's a little hard to make out BKNF and #16202111 belong to 94. The # 16188051 would be the # of a reman pcm.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sorry for confusion it was a TYPO, I meant to say '94 NOT 95....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts