LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I messed up again and overtorqued my cheap EGR blockoff plate and warped it pretty bad. since I have a little ultra black rtv on the gasket, im pretty sure it is sealed.... but pretty sure doesnt cut it. The plate I installed looks like cold rolled mild steel plate about an 1/8" thick. I torqued the plate to the EGR torque spec of 35 ft lbs which I realize now was super dumb. It deformed the plate, moving a good bit of steel and warped the plate pretty bad. I ordered a billet aluminum piece from Hawks Motorsports that doesnt include a gasket and suggests using rtv to seal.

What is a good torque for the aluminum blockoff plate, looks to be about 3/16" thick flat billet aluminum?

Should I put an EGR gasket in there or use RTV alone for seal? If gasket, should I use rtv?

Thanks for looking...

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
13,566 Posts
What size diameter are the bolts you have? If they are 8mm, which takes a 13 mm socket, then 15-18 ft lbs should suffice. If bigger bolts than 8mm I'd go with around 22 ft lbs.

Keep in mind that aluminum expands & contracts much more than steel. So retorqueing the bolts would be required on a regular basis. This depens on how much car is driven..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22 sounds a lot more reasonable. I don't know if i can retorque the plate once engine is installed.. pretty tight back there.. i made my last plates out of 1/4" stainless... they held well. Hopefully the aluminum with black rtv and red thread locker will hold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts