LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil do you guys use and what would you suggest performance wise (remember this is a DD). Its too late to use sythetic so keep that in mind. Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can run synthetic even if your car has high miles and has only ran regular? I was under the impression that if you did not run synthethic fairly early (under 50,000 miles) in a cars life then it wouldnt work and could cause leaks because it was thinner. please explain how i was wrong, as im still learning

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oil leaks happened on early muscle cars that ran Dino oil then switched,they had and have different gaskets(cork) and the slippery synthetic would flow around the gasket rather than be absorbed by it,causing a leak.

Thats how synthetic oil got a bad rap.

Our cars use nitrile rubber for the gaskets

Mobil 1 is the factory fill on every Corvette since 1990,and the choice of most top race teams.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Synth's bad rap came from the original Mobil 1 in the 70s.. It was a disaster and lots of people lost motors on that stuff. They pulled it and reinvented it later...some old school guys still hang on to the original reputation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Thanks, i also did some of my own research on motor oils over at firebird nation. thanks for the info

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Synth's bad rap came from the original Mobil 1 in the 70s.. It was a disaster and lots of people lost motors on that stuff. They pulled it and reinvented it later...some old school guys still hang on to the original reputation.
The problem with the original Mobil 1 was that it was too thin for older cars with loose tolerances. Times have changed as Chris said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts