LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a couple weeks, I'm going to be redoing my exhaust right from the heads... how long do you guys figure it will take me to do that, pull the intake manifold to put on the EGR block-off plates, put on new valve cover gaskets, and get everything back together? Can it reasonably be done in a day, or would I need to plan on a second day?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Depends how mechanicly inclined you are i would plan on a wkend thing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its a pain but yes if all goes well you could do it in a day. I'd start soaking all the bolts now..or just plan on cutting things off if your not going to every go back to stock.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quite mechanically inclined, just not well-plied with time...

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you are good at removing broken,rusted studs and other various types
of debris from parts that have rusting for about 20 years then it may be a day. I would be willing to bet unless you have some unknown skills that
you will have 25 hours in it. An thats not because you are not mechanically inclined,you just need a very patient, solid approach to removing rusted corroded fastners. My Dad had a special touch for removing the impossible,it wasnt a secret or anything like that,just a special touch. GOOD LUCK, Let us know how you do. ed

·
Registered
134 Posts
You don't need to remove the intake manifold for block off plates. I just saved you a couple hours.
I was hoping someone would mention that. Detroit did just save you a couple hours unless ther's another reason you need to pull the intake

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just did my block off plates while the intake was still on. The one thing you may need is a drill/ bit and or file so installation is easier. Depending where u get your plates you may need to enlarge or elongate the holes. Whatever is your fancy. Test fit first. Second: if you want an easy easy install for the headers either disconnect your engine mounts ( install poly mounts) and either jack or hoist up one side at a time. Makes installation so much easier. Be sure to use or wrap your wires that run down the pass side frame next to your exhaust with some heat wrap or something the like. If not you will likely burn some wires. This is better done with the exhaust removed. Use safety wire to hold in place. Have fun

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mechanic that last worked on it suspected an intake leak, so just to be safe, I'm going to put in new gaskets.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
very informative... what oil filter will I need to get?
Also... I'm fortunate enough to be able to use a pit when I do mine so I can avoid the jacking it up portion and be in a little more natural position to work...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I don't have my oil filter on yet but I hear the stock one can fit. I'm picking one up today and I'll let you know. The kind I originally bought couldn't fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you grab an oil filter yet?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah, I'm running a 3" oil filter. Any one will do. The only thing is if your car came with the optional oil cooler, like mine did, you have to remove it to get any oil filter on there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so am I to gather that all oil filters have common threading?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
so am I to gather that all oil filters have common threading?
Nope, there's different threads. Just go to your local auto parts store and have them find a kind for your car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thought so... which filter did you get?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
No they do not and Bosch seems to fit better.

·
Registered
807 Posts
not at all, as far as I KNOW , there is not just one common thread for
oil filters. Some of the newer type oil filters vary in height,I suppose what you want with your headers is a short version of your orig. oil filter. ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts