LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have that dexcool aka mud in my engine. I am thinking I will flush the system and put the good ole green coolant in.

So what do you use? Do you like the dexcool or basic green antifreeze?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Only use green anti freeze coolant

I use proper mixture of water and green coolant. Be sure to "burp" your
system at the valve on the thermostat housing....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use proper mixture of water and green coolant. Be sure to "burp" your
system at the valve on the thermostat housing....
Of course. I do that when changing hoses and t stat as well.

So you havent noticed any trouble using green? I've had people tell me not to because of the heads being aluminum and all. But I really see no problem in doing so.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Of course. I do that when changing hoses and t stat as well.

So you havent noticed any trouble using green? I've had people tell me not to because of the heads being aluminum and all. But I really see no problem in doing so.
You do realize that all the aluminum headed LT1s until late 1995 got green coolant from the factory, right?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Two cars with aluminum heads and green coolant

Both of my S1 Jaguars with Chevrolet V8's use the green coolant and have aluminum heads..no problems over (8) years of use...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just throw in green, and be done with it.
Don't be one of those people that get all anal about stupid things, lol.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
you want to completely flush out your old dexcool and put in green.

may find it easier to remove the knock sensor to really drain the block. back flush heater core

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
go the extra mile with coolant, cooling system issues are big on these cars!

with every LT1 i've worked on, i use prestone 'compatible' coolant, which mixes well with both green and brownsludge coolant, so who cares what's been run through it before. i also drain/refill the rad every 3 oil changes.

i run it mixed @ 70% distilled 'battery top-up' water, and a good shot of water wetter. i've done this @ -15c and never cracked a block or anything.

you could eat off the inside of my rad hoses. i've never had to change a thermostat or flush a heater core. my temperatures are very consistent. i barely even noticed when i left my fans unplugged for a month..

·
Registered
807 Posts
I use orange aid with Red Line water wetter. Just wondering what is it
with the orange dexcool that most folks dont like? What does GM use
in their latest models? ed

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I use orange aid with Red Line water wetter. Just wondering what is it
with the orange dexcool that most folks dont like? What does GM use
in their latest models? ed
Ed

GM came out with DexCool in 96 as a coolant that would last 100k. The orange itself is OK but GM put pellets in the cooling system to disolve as a leak prevention measure and WP lubricant. The problem was the DexCool reacted with these pellets and became brown snot that would then clog the radiator and heater core passages.

Maybe if it is changed more like standard coolant at 24k mi it would be OK but why pay the $ more for the orange stuff.

Also DexCool and plastic don't get along as it, over time, hardens it and it becomes brittle. My neighbor is a mechanic for CalTrans and he said they took the orange stuff out years ago due to to many cooling systems repairs on their fleet trucks.

When I bought my 96 the dealer switched it to green in 97. At that time the orange had already turned to brown and was starting to sludge up

I assume DexCool by itself is OK without the pellets but I view it like any other fluid....that should be changed way sooner than 100k mi so I just by store brand "conventional" green and get a gallon of distilled water for like $1 to get the 50/50 mix

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Mr. Bss, Thanks for the great explaination, I didnt know that the Dexcool was not friendly to plastic,so basically as soon as I can ,I will
most likely change to the Green stuff, plus water wetter. I really like
most of the Red Line products,all my water coooled vehicles have the
water wetter in them. ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts