LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: i have had different people tell me different things so i figured i'd ask yall

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Depends on what year you are talking about.

LT1 SS's were Z28s that got 17 inch wheels, 1LE springs, 1LE bushings and sway bars, a unique spoiler and the ram air hood/intake.

On LS1 ss's you didn't get the suspention stuff standard but could option it up through SLP.

Drivetrains were the same between the two models, however. The SS was really just an option package on a Z28 though, not a separate model.

·
Registered
993 Posts
As Chris already said, there isn't much of a difference. The SSes are more or less just a nameplate/styling package with very little real performance gains.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From LS1 Tech...

SS Performance Package:

Includes 320-hp forced air
induction system, unique hood air
intake, low restriction exhaust
system, power steering cooler,
synthetic engine oil, P275/40ZR17
Goodyear Eagle F1 performance
tires, 17" 5-spoke
cast-aluminum wheels,
specially-tuned performance
suspension with larger front
stabilizer bar, stiffer springs,
unique shock valving and stiffer
bushings, specific exterior and
interior "SS" badging and unique
rear decklid spoiler

SLP had a bunch of options that could be added on to the SS package by selecting an SLP options code Y2Y...

These ranged from
Better catback than the standard SS one (SLP dual dual)
Chrome wheels
Numerous suspension option levels
differential options
lid intakes
floor mats
key fobs
dash plaques
center mounted exhaust systems
...etc...etc...

There are all kinds of combos you can find for SS optioned Camaros,the most important thing to look for is what is important to you.

If you are looking for something to beat on or mod out.Don't buy an SS.If you really don't have intensions of trying to keep the car for a while,again you shouldn't get the SS.If your under the impression that the SS's have a power advantage over a Z28 and thats all your looking for...again...and SS would probably be a bad idea for you.

On the other hand if your looking for a Camaro to keep for some time or,are real into the history of Camaros.Not saying the Z28s don't have a rich heritage in Camaro history.You can't beat having an SS for collectability and the plain old history vibe you get of having one...Just my opinion.

Both the SS and Z28 are pretty much equal in the power department so,if yourlooking for straight ahead power without all the "flash and baggage",go for the Z28.

If you want a little more collectability and want to keep it mostly stock,many people including myself find the SS the perfect choice...Plus I also like the look of the appearance items which when you add them up after buying,installing and painting...it usually ends up running you aout the same amount as if you had just bought an SS in the first place...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great info for a noob like me. I'm in the search for a camaro and didn't know if I should specifically be looking for an SS, which of course, are rarer. Thanks.

·
Harbinger of War
1,074 Posts
an ls1 is a ls1.....but nothing wrong with an ss ....but i would say if u find a z28 in ur price range buy it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts