LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to see what i would have made on a dyno.

My buildup was a lunati 408,patriot III,comp valvetrain, and i had the magic stick,lsx intake. all sold. along with the car i was going to put it in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My setup? Virtually stock and sounds like shit. :D

Stock internals, Turn One PS pump, Pro 5.Slow, SLP LM exhaust, !Cats, suspension stuffs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
cam 232/237 .566/.566 @ 114, Hooker LTs & Y and SLP Loudmouth and free mods, LS1 intake & stock pulley and no cutout. Without the cam the car dynoed 329hp & 344tq.

I need a LS6 intake, pulley, a ported tb and some 1.8 rockers and I think I will be very close to the 380ish mark. Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a cam to go in the SS but I haven't had the time (or money) to buy a good set of valve springs for it.
I will probably do heads and cam at the same time once the finances come through.
As for now, I need to be getting the LS1 in the other car out and apart. Got some new rings and rod bolts to slap in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think heads are overrated for stock cubes for the money. Just my $0.02. A person can reach 400hp with just a cam easy nowadays.

Heck I could probably dyno tomorrow and get +/-5hp so I dont really care too much about dyno #'s. I do it mainly for tuning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
superslow, I agree with you on the dyno #s, but I don't think heads are overrated for stock cubes... at least not good heads. Crap heads are overrated for sure... but people just yell and scream about how great they are because they're cheap. You can dyno 400 on a cam... but 430 on heads cam and I'd say they're worth it at that point. Amazingly enough, there are people out there running 450 plus on stock cubes and H/C.

LS13RDGEN, have you pulled a motor on one of these yet? I gather you have from the name, but if not, I've got a writeup on pulling the motor from the bottom on my old website... new website just isn't up yet. Old: www.freewebs.com/pimpmaro

·
Registered
25 Posts
pimpmaro said:
superslow, I agree with you on the dyno #s, but I don't think heads are overrated for stock cubes... at least not good heads. Crap heads are overrated for sure... but people just yell and scream about how great they are because they're cheap. You can dyno 400 on a cam... but 430 on heads cam and I'd say they're worth it at that point. Amazingly enough, there are people out there running 450 plus on stock cubes and H/C.

LS13RDGEN, have you pulled a motor on one of these yet? I gather you have from the name, but if not, I've got a writeup on pulling the motor from the bottom on my old website... new website just isn't up yet. Old: www.freewebs.com/pimpmaro
I see what you are saying but my thought is 30hp or 50hp for $1200 is a little insane to me (but I have been known to be wrong on a daily basis). Especially when you can put on a nitrous kit for around $500 and have 500hp on tap at the crack of a bottle. I am not saying that people shouldnt buy aftermarket heads but as far as a $ to hp standpoint there are better alternatives. I am sure people will disagree with me on this but that is the way I think when it comes to money well spent. Also another reason is because I can not justify spending 1200 bucks on heads right now anyways. Some may say that I am a tight wad but I am who I am for a reason.

·
Registered
340 Posts
pimpmaro said:
Pulling the motor out of Rally (that is the 1992 RS) is easy as pie. Hell all that is really holding that motor in is a plethora of zipties and 6 bolts. :D

LMAO! That's basically how the LS1 is...

Superslow, I see what you mean and I knew that when you first posted... and I totally agree with you, but I just kinda feel that after a certain point with modding the bang for the buck has to go down. The advantage to a good set of heads is that they'll make everything work better as they all work in conjuction with one another. I know when I get to my cam (anyone want to donate money? :D) I'll be cam only for quite awhile, but I'm sure one day down the road I'll start going through heads. The advantage is that once you get heads the first time, you can use the resale value to start trading heads back and forth.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heads are a good combo because when you do other mods youve already got your heads to flow. Let me let you in on a little secret. Leave nitrous be unless your setup for it. Ive seen stock bottom end cars got 150 for a few months then need a rebuild. Ive seen a stock bottom end slap the hell out of the head first shot. I have NEVER and will NEVeR use nitrous. Had a guy coem to me and ask to fix his motro for him. Sprayed and blew it, his block was not salvagable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
numbers in sig on my previous 00' SS. That was on the stock shortblock, with the exception of the pistons being flycut. That was done with a set of TEA Stg. 2.5 heads w/competition hand finish, 2.055 int and 1.60 exh valves, Comp 232/236 .580/.580 cam ground on Renegade lobes with a 110 LSA on a 108 ICL, TEA ported LS6 intake, TEA ported TB, ASP pulley, Kook's stainless 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" stepped LT's, 3" true duals w/x-pipe and Moroso Spiral Pro mufflers w/turndowns, LS1 Motorsports lid, stock descreened MAF, Kaetech ported LS6 oil pump, Cloyes single roller adjustable timing chain, new stock lifters, stock injectors, free mods, T-56 w/RAM 6130/402 combo, stock 10-bolt w/3.42's, and tuned by Alan Futral. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Neither the T/A or Camaro have been dyno'd yet . The T/A is bone stock and the Camaro is still waiting for all the parts to finish it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts