LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i went and looked at a potential purchase today!!! :D :fluffy: :D Well i just wanted you guys opinions. Its a 97 Camaro Z28 SS with a six speed transmission. It has 67k miles on it and oh boy does it run strong. I did find a few peculiar things though. Its been repainted, but the car fax is clean so i dont know if it was repainted because it was wrecked or it just needed new paint. I figured at only 67k miles the paint hasnt seen the road much and probably wouldnt need repainting. So i was a little curious. My old truck had 174000 miles on it and the paint still looked new. Another thing that bothered me was the spoiler. It wasnt the SS spoiler ive always seen (Raised a little with the two supports in the middle) but it looked like a stock spoiler with a lip on it. Dont know if the car came like that or what. ANd the last thing that bothered me was the hatch didnt fit very good. The gaps on the tops and sides where fine but it stuck out almost an inch from the trunk.!! :eek:
Just wanted to know what you guys thought. Oh and he wants 9 but im pretty sure i can talk him down to 7500.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ya sounds like it was prob in an accident...the car fax on my car was clean but i know for a fact it was in an accident.....so dont go by them cause not everyone goes thru insurance when they are in an accident...

·
Harbinger of War
1,074 Posts
sounds like it could hjave been hit or just neglect by the owner.. on the ss spoiler those around here are a hot item i hear of them getting stolen off these cars a lot around here and people sometimes go with just a regular z spoiler...but im sure there is a RPO code in the door that u can check to see if its an SS or not ... u can call GM with ur vin and they will tell u,... or so im told

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys you all replied really fast. Im going back on friday to see it again and ill check the rpo codes on the inside of the door. When im there im going to take it to a mechanic of mine and have him look at it and see if he thinks its been wrecked. If it hasnt im definetly going to buy it because the new paint looks good theres just a few blemishes that really dont bother me. Does any body know where you can purchase a new rear hatch?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i go back i want to have a checklist of thigns too look at. Here what i have.
Roll Back Carpet and look at floorpans.
Check for creases any where.
Im up for any more suggestions or places to look.
Oh and i forgot to say that every panel on the car lines up excellently except for the hatch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 96-97 SS spoiler didn't have the two center supports like the 98-02 did. That is a factory SS spoiler. The hatch just could be out of line, that does happen. It happened on my car. As for the paint, maybe it had got vandalized.....who knows. If you wanna know for sure,look at the RPO codes and see if it has the WU8(i think thats it)code. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About the holdiong out for an ls1 that would be a no. Ive been shifter cart racing since i was 11 and i recently got into drag racing, road course racing, and auto crossing, Well im on a tight budget (In other words no LS1), Im tired of paying 65 to fill up a truck and only get 300 miles to the tank, Its also slow as crap and handles horribly. I also think a LT1 would be a better car for me to start with because im young and i dont need something as powerful as an ls1 (its hard for me to say that), I want to be able to enjoy my time in college and not have to work my ass of to pay for a car thats why im going LT1. Plus ive found great deals on low mileage lt1s that have been pampered (fully optioned 97 ws6 69K miles in great condition for 7500). It will have all the power i need for the street (what ricer will beat me, i know theres a few but not many), and ive got plenty of choices for cars at the strip or road course. And just a little icing on the cake, i cant wait to see the looks on my friends faces when there spending all there money on stereo and im spending all mine on engine mods (without telling them of course, dont forget it only stock) and i completely woop there asses. Oh boy i cant wait.

·
Registered
724 Posts
what color is it? and is is hardtop or ttop? lt1 isnt a bad motor, but since ive owned both i prefer the ls1. but if i could find a hardtop white SS, id buy it no matter what. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
You want my honest opinion, as an LT1 owner?

Hold out and buy an LS1 car, you'll be much happier in the long run.

^ Agreed. The day I bought my Z I was at the auction bidding on a black 97 Firehawk. Thank god I got outbid. I think that car would've taken more $$$ to make it as fast as my car is. LT1's are still cool though for the right money. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
First....1996 and 1997 SSs would have RPO "R7T" in the option list, not WU8....WU8 is the code from 1998 thru 2002.....the 1996 and 1997 SSs were built as Z28s....then sent to SLP to have the whole SS conversion performed ..such as exhaust, wheels/tires/suspension/...hood, spoiler, etc. In 1998, the process was brought in-house at Ste. Therese with exception of hood and spoiler....and any second sticker equipment......that was still done at SLP in nearby LaSalle, Quebec.

The paint? It very well could have sat out for long periods of time and had sun damage.....or...perhaps damage from tree sap/bird droppings/etc. (unfortunately, not everyone takes good care of their Camaro or Firebird)

Stand at the back of the car....and look very closely at the rear quarter panels...you have to stoop down......look for 'dimples' above the rear wheel opening.......if the body is sprung from a bad accident, that's going to be the first place it shows up.

Good luck! and if you get this SS ...or any other Camaro or Firebird, we hope you'll be as proud to own and drive it as we were to design and build it!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its red and T-topps. I looked at the rear quarter panels, every 4th gen camaro ive ever seen has some dents or diimples there but this one was straight.

·
Registered
352 Posts
fbodfather said:
First....1996 and 1997 SSs would have RPO "R7T" in the option list, not WU8....WU8 is the code from 1998 thru 2002.....the 1996 and 1997 SSs were built as Z28s....then sent to SLP to have the whole SS conversion performed ..such as exhaust, wheels/tires/suspension/...hood, spoiler, etc. In 1998, the process was brought in-house at Ste. Therese with exception of hood and spoiler....and any second sticker equipment......that was still done at SLP in nearby LaSalle, Quebec.

The paint? It very well could have sat out for long periods of time and had sun damage.....or...perhaps damage from tree sap/bird droppings/etc. (unfortunately, not everyone takes good care of their Camaro or Firebird)

Stand at the back of the car....and look very closely at the rear quarter panels...you have to stoop down......look for 'dimples' above the rear wheel opening.......if the body is sprung from a bad accident, that's going to be the first place it shows up.

Good luck! and if you get this SS ...or any other Camaro or Firebird, we hope you'll be as proud to own and drive it as we were to design and build it!
Welcome Scott! :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts