• Google Search

Votes: 258 47.3%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dead Miss Issues

We have a 1996 Z28 with just over 99,000 miles. The previous owner allowed the engine to overheat. They didn't want to fix it so we bought it. We removed the heads and they were warped. We found a pair of good bare heads, had them redone and installed 1.6 roller rocker from Comp Cams, new beehive valve springs, and visually checked the cylinder walls. They looked good with cross hatching marks still visible. We also installed headers when we put the car back together. We installed a reman'ed optispark, new wires and new AC Delco plugs.

The car ran well, but after about a week of driving it, it started to run poor, to the point that once it was up to operating temperature, it would have a dead miss in cylinder #5. We have run a compression test and the cylinders in the left bank all have 165 psi. We also replaced the fuel injector with an OEM reman'ed one.

The cylinder has spark and it has fuel. The only thing we have not replaced is the coil.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!!

This is our 2nd LT1 Camaro. We had a 1994 Z28 with a 6 speed, but sold it while my son finished tech school. Once we this one done and running (and I finish paying for two kid's college) I am going to start looking to replace the Corvette I sold some years ago with a mid 90s Vette.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found this site searching for an LT1 site. I've always liked the LT1s and the high comp. ratios they can run on pump gas thanks to the reverse cooling. I'm liking this site alot so far. BTW my Camaro is an '86 Z28 with a 305TPI that I unfortunatly might have to sell since I got laid off from my job in the middle of having a home built. I convinced my old job to take me back for a month or so, so I can get the paystubs I need to make closing happen without a problem. If I do end up selling my Camaro, I'll be getting another one as soon as we get our $8k first time home buyers credit (thank you Obama) and I've already been looking out for '93-'97 Z28s that I can pick up cheap.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
If I do end up selling my Camaro, I'll be getting another one as soon as we get our $8k first time home buyers credit (thank you Obama) and I've already been looking out for '93-'97 Z28s that I can pick up cheap.
No, you mean thank you everybody else, since it is us taxpayers that are paying for you to get your credit.

Actually its not even really a credit. My guess is you don't pay nearly $8,000 in taxes into the system anyway, so you'll get more back than you paid in.

Do you know what I call it when someone gets a handout from the government?

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for taking advantage of the program, but I think it is outrageous the amounts of money we as a country are literally blowing on things like cash for clunkers and the homebuyer credit. When the credit ends, demand for houses will drop like a brick, just like when the clunker program ended.

All it is doing is probably helping people that can't really afford houses to buy. Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Rookie!

Not sure if this is right but it said to introduce myself here. I'm chris and i have a 1997 SS camaro, low numbered car, m6. i have put longtube headers, filter, cut out, hypertech programmer, 4:10 gears. i am currently rounding up the parts for a cam swap...i have a cc306, beehive springs, 1.6rr, keepers and retainers, water pump, and valve guides. i think this is all that i need? i don't have anything to prove just want a daily driver with some grunt. anyways hello to all!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
i have been at astrosafarivans.com and astrosafari.com. i am today stalled on my LT1 astro, i have had to order another oil pickup for the M55HV in the buick roadmaster LT1.
i came here to search for what all i need and dont need in the swap.
i am also interested in the wiring up of the LT1, my harness is less than new and complete.

·
Registered
9 Posts
me again have a question

took ta on test drive in city, short trip, romped it once and it went from 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank, then took it on a 15 mile highway drive, romped it once and it took it from 1/4 to empty, the next 6 miles to the gas station were a little scary very cold out but made it. put 3/4 tank of gas in and proceeded on highway which i romped it again and the gas guage barely moved. any comment here would be greatly appreciated for i need to decide by tomorrow if to get the car. thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
me again again

also the car has a power transmission button which i am not familiar with, need help with how to use. again thank you for any and all input on this.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i clicked " other" because i leaned of this awesome place thanks to Chis!!!! it was a fun fun fun 15th ann. hawk rally and i can't thank you and the wife for driving my ass around!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Coming from LS1.com here but I have a 96 Z28 with 57000 miles just picked up its grey and black looks great fast as sh#t and I need more tech advise from here .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Found on google, had lots of questions and have gotten lots of answers. I mostly old school gen one chevy guy but really liked the look of the 93 up camaros finally ran across one I could afford with out payments and now I have 2 and a 99 firebird that Ive parted out it was a crashed v6. Shoebox's site is awesome too!

141 - 160 of 213 Posts