LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have searched for this but cannot seem to find it, i recently bought a 94 TA with an LT1 i am nto sure what the lt1 is out of but it is not original it is out of a 95 or newer car, either way. the temp sensor i found on the passenger side does not have any wires hooked to it, from what i read it should actually be on the driver side but it is not, i cannot seem to find the connector in the harness, however it also has an autometer temp gauge on the a piller question is can i hook it to the stock sensor? i read that the stock sensor needs 5v to work on one side of the conector, problem is i have sunk a decent amount of money, into it the past few weeks, and dont have the 80$ to get new autometer gauge with sensor, is there anywat i can hook this up? or just ahve to break down and get new gauge?

thanks for the help

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Oem coolant temp connector has 1 dark green wire. It gets no power, it supplies a variable ground to the factory gauge, which is what makes gauge needle swing.. The gauge in the factory cluster has power supplied, ground, and the variable ground from the coolant sensor.

Look for the connector with one dark green wire only on the left side of engine. Last owner might have cut the wire so look for a stub also.

All 94 wiring diagrams are found in the 94 service manual available to download. Look in 4th gen section, thread titled "GM service manuals".

If you happen to find the dark green wire, you can see if the gauge works by grounding the wire, to a good clean ground. Gauge needle should swing all the way to hot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So With what you just said if I under stand correctly. And I cannot find this green wire I should be able to hook the automate gauge to it correct? If I read the directions for the gauge correctly you connect it to a 12 volt source then it has one wire that goes to the sensor. So should essentially be the same type of fauve. Just way easier to get to if I cannot find the original wire.

I will look up the wire diagrams you suggested as well thanks

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
You can hook up the after market gauge to the factory sender and it will most likely work. But it will also most likely be off on it's reading. This is because the sender and gauge are a matched set. The ohm range for the GM sender will probably be different than what your after market gauge needs to read correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that makes sense well if I can't find that green wire in the harness I will probably pull the cluster and see what I can do there was trying.to avoid that. May just break down and buy a new gauge. Thanks for the help

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Now before you go out and spend money that you probably can't afford, may I suggest running a wire to instrument cluster connector A17, ground it with ignition on and see if gauge in instrument cluster swings all the way to hot..

It will involve removing the instrument cluster, 94 service manual will have instructions. That way if coolant gauge works, you can just run wire from instrument cluster A cavity 7 to the sender. If sender is good gauge should work, if it passed the ground and needle swings all the way to hot test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts