LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear that guys? GM's new 6.2L (which will hopefully make it's way into the new Camaro at some point, as it's essentially just a bored LS2) has Variable Valve Timing.

400 hp at 5.7k, 415 lbft ~5.6k, but here's the cool part.... It's able to carry 90% of the torque peak from 2.3-5.6k... and that's just with the factory cam. Does anyone else see the potential in this??

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Its the L92 and its debuting in the Escalade as reported here:

http://ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1865

Expect it to be the LS3 in car trim (vs. the truck motor) and I would not be suprised at all if the LS3+Supercharger= the rumored Corvette Blue Devil LS9 motor.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
By the way its not true VTEC style VVT, as obviously with just one cam you can't advance the exhaust and intake valves separately. The whole thing has to be advanced or retarded together....just like using a different crank keyway on a timing chain, its just electronically controlled.

But this has the potential as Cam has pointed out to really broaden the tq curves. I suspect we'll see even better MPG numbers because of this too, and the max HP while retaining OEM driveability will improve too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
we don't need this newfangled stuff. lol. i think it could really make some sick power accross the band, which is awesome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
with just one cam you can't advance the exhaust and intake valves separately. The whole thing has to be advanced or retarded together.
Look up Mechadyne International. They have a solution to do just that. Its a mechanical nightmare, but they have a solution that you can expect to see on the road around 2008.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Whats the big deal, its not like they dont have vvt on the 3.5 and 3.9L V-6's.

I am a big fan of the variable intake.

Think TPI torque with the LT1 top end.

Has any one ever combined the two technologies?

The real future is in the electronic valvetain.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
The big deal is this is a first for GM for a cam-in block motor. Those V6s you mention are all multi-overhead-cam motors.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I think its an interesting concept for production vehicles, but I am not sure of its value with after market components.

Can you imagine having to design an aftermarket cam for that thing?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I'd like to see tuning software that would allow you to change when the VVT kicked in, how much advance it gave, etc.

Just like a timing curve you could program in an advance curve on the cam :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts