LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my alternator was changed about 8 months ago and starting 3 weeks ago the voltage is staying just before the 3rd marker on the voltage gauge it stays there and bounces slightly. It does this while its idling or driving, and I haven't noticed any Ill effects running wise. The only thing that stands out is the lights pulsate interior and exterior it has both problems with all lights and stereo on or all of them off. I'm just wondering what may be causing this and my check engine light isn't on.

Any guidance is much appreciated thanks in advanced

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
Pulsating lights are usually an indication that a diode in the alternators rectifier is allowing ac voltage through. The higher than normal voltage would be caused by the voltage regulator going bad.
Voltage has to reach 17.1 volts or under 8.1 volts before a code is set.

You need to fix this soon. Even though you haven't noticed any ill effects yet, high voltage burns out bulbs quickly and causes electrical components to fail much quicker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you cocobolo95 I'll definitely take a look into it soon I didn't even know where to begin. At first I was thinking some type of short because of the pulsing lights but sad to see that it could be the alternator I'll have to rip it off and check to see if the warranty will be good

Now this is an off topic as far as electrical but would you happen to know how to tell what type of engine you have without vin or RPO codes like by numbers on the block or anything like that

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
If your driving a 4th gen f-body or an older Italian car, I can tell the engine by what it looks like, but for most everything else on the road, no.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts