LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Just wanted to ask if you LT1 pro's knew where I should be looking for the VIN# stamping on the short block, I assume it's supposed to be in the traditional location, just in front of the passenger cyl.head, I haven't degreased my block yet, so I haven't looked myself just yet. I heard these numbers might be in the form of a laser-dot-matrix looking numbers, barely visible, just wanted to double check and see if anyone could fill me in on this. I am building an AC cobra kit car (Factory Five Roadster) and want to make sure all my paperwork is legit, matching serial numbers on my parts because the Missouri Highway Patrol is ano about verifying that parts are not stolen, and with them (the highway patrol) you are basically guilty until proven innocent......the last thing I want is to have dumped a lot of money in an engine only to have them confiscate it later because I cannot prove where it originated from...that would suck....heard that happened to a guy in New York, had 8K in his engine only to have that state confiscate it and sell it an a state auction, not gonna happen to me, but I need to make sure before I get to that point.
Yeah, I know, Ford Car, chevy engine, but hey! It's my project and it's a replica, not a real cobra.
Thanks!
Ben Smith

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I looked at my engine block, it is a 1995 LT1, but this partial vin# is not there. any other places it might be located at? the front pad in front of the cyl. head reads VK216896 don't know if that helps but it doesn't come close to any of the vin#
Thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
vin number location

Okay, I looked over every inch of this engine block, no vin number on the block anywhere that i can see. Just for conversation sake, did warranty engines come with a vin stamps? I would assume they didn't. also, this block is a four bolt main, I thought only the vettes got 4 bolt blocks.......
any ideas on where I might find the VIN number?
thanks!
Ben

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vin number location

okay, talked to state patrol inspectors today, said my bill of sale and copies of the original title were all that was needed, thought I might find warranty info from mchevy, but it seems GM only keeps data on file for ten years and dumps that info and no more records. Any way, I'm set to do this project, and now I know I have a four bolt main block, things are even better!
Thanks for all the help!
Ben:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine VIN decode

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me decode my engine stamps and casting numbers if applicable. I figured I'd high jack an applicable thread as it makes me grumpy when I do a search and there's several different threads on the same topic.

I'm located in Australia and have just received an import of a 69 Camaro with a mid nineties engine/T5 manual transplanted into it.

The seller claimed it's a 350 but I'm not entirely sure, and i mostly wanted to check so I buy the right parts when upgrading and maintaining.

Please see below..

Casting

VIN and Engine stamp. The lower number is also found on the rear passenger side of gearbox.

These two are to just help others find the numbers. I know i wasted a bit of time looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
188 Posts
you need the casting number on the driver side rear of block.. this will tell you what size the block is, year range, horsepower availability, 2 or 4 bolt ect.... should be something like 3970010...
sorry I mislead you, the drivers side of the block for these years should tell you if its a 5.0 or 5.7 liter...

·
Registered
188 Posts
cylinder heads also have a casting # inside the valve covers if interested in knowing what they are.. hard to tell by pic but look like 86-95 tbi stuff.. they made lt1's for a couple years in the late 60's early 70's and again from 92-97.. but the two are very different motors

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A big paper weight :lol: on the plus side it will run forever. If I were you I would find a 396 or 454 to throw in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.