LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing a head swap on my 94 Fleetwood, and I'm a little stumped when it comes to what valve springs will work on my iron heads.

The story so far:

My current heads have 4 sheared manifold bolts, and the exhaust leak is getting pretty bad. Instead of having the car out of commission (it's my daily) while I send the heads out to get fixed, I bought another set, had them remanned, 3-angled, and checked out, and am now installing hardware on them in anticipation of doing a swap on a weekend and being able to get to work on the Monday. Then the old heads get a complete port job for the new motor.

Initially the intent was to do a stock for stock replacement. But as is wont to happen with us gear-heads, a good (fantastic) deal on some Magnum 1.6s has me doing a bit more. I still want this motor to be mostly stock (concentrating on building a second motor), but this was too good to pass up.

Researching valve springs on LT1's with 1.6RR, I found a ton of info for the f-bods.. Simple enough - with a stock cam (which I'm keeping) stock springs bad. Lt4 springs better but not ideal.. Since I just want springs to handle the RR's, Alex's springs (LT1 VALVE SPRING KIT Includes: SPRINGS, RETAINERS, LOCKS & CUPS. - Alex's Parts Sales) seem a good and recommended spring for the job leaving me with more $$'s for my "real" motor build.

Except down near the bottom I see "Not for Iron Heads".

Doh.. So my question is - on a motor that's not going to see much more modding other than this, what's my best bet in the price range for a complete kit (springs, retainers, etc) that will work on iron heads?

CC 987-16's were recommended also, and I see some mention that they're overkill and that 981's will work too for my application. The bulletcams offerings seem like they'll work too, but now I'm gun-shy and want to make sure they'll do on my heads.

And while I'm at it, what is it about Alex's springs that they won't (or aren't recommended) on irons?

Lastly - assuming they're in good shape, I'm assuming stock pushrods shouldn't be a problem?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Crane Cams part # 10309-1 are spec'ed for LT1 iron heads.

KW

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.