LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i've been considering buying a LT1 for a while now. Luckily I came to visit my uncle for christmas and theres a 98 camaro sitting in the driveway. Just the thing to help me make up my mind since ive never even been in one.
I found out he was trying to get rid of it, its knocking and it was his daughters. I didnt care it was a busted v6 since i was just checking it out to see if i liked the car.
I sat down and it fit like a glove. I was getting a 4th gen.
Earlier today i found out that instead of selling it he wants to just get it towed. Long story short he says he'll give it to me.

So what i wanna know how involved is putting a LS1 in it? I'm already going to change the rear end so that a given. Does it need a different computer, harness, tranny, etc. ???
If its just the Rear end and engine im looking at Max a 3000 dollar ls1 that is in pretty good condition which is awesome. I have been trying to find a Decent LT1 for under 3 grand which has been hard. (low price is because im only 16,no money)

Thanks everyone.
________
volcano vaporizers

C

·
0 Posts
Yep, you'll need a different k-member, motor mounts, engine harness, transmission, prob transmission bracket, different AC box (either the evap core or whatever its called) under the dash if you wish to retain AC. Its really a lot of things involved and a lot of people have decided just to find a already LS1 car. Your best bet is to find a donor car if you wish to go through with the swap.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, you'll need a different k-member, motor mounts, engine harness, transmission, prob transmission bracket, different AC box (either the evap core or whatever its called) under the dash if you wish to retain AC. Its really a lot of things involved and a lot of people have decided just to find a already LS1 car. Your best bet is to find a donor car if you wish to go through with the swap.
Like I said im a kid. I got the time and willingness to do it. My resources arent so great because theres no slavage yards where i live with 4th gens but whatever.
So far just from what youve said ive gathered:
Wiring harness -300
K member and bracket-500
Ac-no idea probably around 300
LS1-1500-3000(some with tranny,some with harness)
If i wait and look around enough i can put this car together for probably 3 grand. Like you said its more work than i thought but I would rather put time into the car and do some work by myself than wait 9 months to afford one.
there are 5 4th gens I am aware of in key west and none are for sale. Ive yet to see on on ebay for 3grand.

Ive pretty much convinced. Thanks for the info about the swap. Honestly i dont care if id have to redo the whole car, a free car means alot to a 16 year old. 3 grand for a ls1 camaro i get to build means even more. Plus everything is already out so i can throw on some mods that are easier when the engine is out anyways.
________
hotels in mexico city

C

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you've got your mind made up! Best of luck, any other question feel free to post up and we'll help the best we can.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
You could always rebuild/fix up the V-6 and sell the car for all profit, then buy an LT1. No matter which way you go good luck. :LS1LT1flag:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You could always rebuild/fix up the V-6 and sell the car for all profit, then buy an LT1. No matter which way you go good luck. :LS1LT1flag:
thats actually a pretty good idea. I'll have to see the extent of the engine problems before I did that though.
Plus i kinda like the idea of doing an engine swap, something to do and the car will mean more to me.
________
grape ape

1 - 8 of 8 Posts