LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watz guys I'm planing on tearing down my f-body v6 motor while its still in the car here are my steps 1.remove cylinders heads right to left 2. Intake manifold fuel rail and injectors 3. Waterpump/acc 4.harmoinc balancer and seal almost down to the block... I know its alot but I'm doing a rebuild my motor cause of shavings in my oilpan and now it has water in it I'm guessing I would have to get everthing machined and washed or can I just rebuild?

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but why don't you stop trying to get out of doing it the right way (removing engine) and just do it!

Its honestly not as bad as you're thinking, I guarentee you you'll spend more time worrying about it or trying to take the easy way out than you would if you'd just do it right.

As for rebuilding or just cleaning, you won't really know till you get it apart to inspect the damage. If the crank is messed up, it'll need to be machined, if not you might be able to just clean it up and put it back t/g. Either way I'd still have it hot tanked if their was metal shavings in it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It will be easier to remove the crank with the motor out. I trust your rebuild includes rings and bearings? You have a much better chance of finding problems standing over it than lying on your back under the car.

·
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator
4,979 Posts
You're gonna pull the heads before the intake?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yea i would just take the whole motor out and bolt it up to a motor stand or something. That way you have a 360 degree view of everything...and also you can crank the motor upside down to place your crank in correctly and replace all the bearings and what not also. Work smart....not hard man :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts