LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a 1994 Pontiac Trans Am I'm in the process of FIXING EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF on the car, replacing the water pump and plugs and wires at the moment.

During the removal of the water pump the optispark got wet; I mean, the cover got wet, I'm not entirely sure where the water has to be before it 'breaks'.

Anyways - I'm pretty sure it should work, 160k on the car though, any way I can test the car with the water pump off to see of the optispark works?

Or is it better to replace it because the car has more than 160k miles?

And if so. . . How? I'm aware that you have to pull the harmonic effing pully, then it's just some bolts that hold it on. Are there any seals or gaskets that go with that?

In the mean time I'm going to be outside cleaning the faces to put the water pump back on, let me know.

Oh, replaced two of the driver side plugs, considering just leaving the rest in. . . Not sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
don't take short cuts you are already there and if you unit is stock is going to fail replace it with a msd unit no headic later trust me,also replace all the plugs you want all equal cylinder firing don't have ass something

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right man, I've already spent so much damn time on this car as it is.

Transmission/alternator/fuel pump installed already, basically I'm reviving this piece of junk I bought when I was 17. Also installing transmission cooler/water pump/ plugs/wires/flushing transmission fluid (internal radiator leak causes coolant and transmission fluid to blend in awesomely.)

Essentially this week alone I'm shoving $400 into the car, a new optispark sounds like it may break me if I buy one, but hell. . . Needs to be done right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice. I can tell by the video you're a hard core enthusiast. I'm getting there - like I mentioned I bought this vehicle when I as 17 and it went through some major abuse -interior's wrecked, parts are wrecked, so essentially it's sort of my full-time restoration project.

I'm 23 at the moment, so I'm still doing this in my driveway. Man I wish I had a lift like yours. I purchased a scrap camaro which has been serving as my spare parts car, which is handy - any nuts and bolts I may need I just rip off of it. I'm running up to the auto parts store, see what they have (if any) selection wise of opti-sparks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jesus, I just priced one. . . A little above my pay check this week. May have to wait on it. . .

Got WD-40 in the top sensor plug on accident, shouldn't hurt, 'eh?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
why not take the old opti apart and see how it looks first?

if it's an original GM opti and there's no sign of water intrusion, the rotor isnt covered in crud, and the cap isn't burned up, it might last far longer than any opti you will buy at this point

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Saw one on craigslist for a good price. However, it's a type 2 pin drive for 95-97 f-body and 94-96 b-body, 95-96 vette. Good deal at $300, new in box. Look in Tampa section.

Use lt1 as your search and it should come up, still listed as of 8:30 pm eastern time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts