LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I modify the valvetrain before I cam it? I hear ppl on both sides saying yes and no and I want to clear this up.

I want to cam the car but not just yet. can I do 1.6rrs, springs 7/16 nuts, hardened pushrods, and ls7 lifters with a stock cam? will there be any gains?:banana:

btw ima noob so be easy on me.haha

·
Banned
489 Posts
Lifters adjusted?

Did u ever get your lifters adjusted correctly Zee? Did u break anything?

If u have vlv adjustment nailed then replacing the springs should be possible be somewhat more difficult.

With the heads on u need an air compressor.
Remove spark plugs.
chose cyl on base circle.
Install air fitting on cyl to hold vlvs up.
Remove vlv springs - several tools for this.
Install vlv springs and measure with special tool for closing pressure - shim for correct close press.
Measure install height - possibly shim for installed height.
Adjust vlv lash/lifter preload.
Move to next cyl.

Good luck,
cardo

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Yes, you can do the 1.6 rockers/springs and supporting mods. You don't need to change the lifters unless you need to change the lifters. The LS7 lifters are the current replacement for LT1 lifters. No advantage there. If I was actually going to change lifters, I would wait to do it with the cam. You should notice a small improvement in the mid and upper RPM range.
BTW, if you bring each cylinder to TDC when changing springs, you don't need the hassle of messing with compressed air to the cylinders. You won't lose the valves.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I adjusted them and no I didn't break anything. it was pretty simple with the car running. I did find out that im running rich and have some blowby. :D

shoebox: okay so not gna be much of a gain from just doing the valvetrain on the stock cam huh? If that's the case ill prolly just wait til I have everything together and do it all at once.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I did say you would probably notice. If you can feel a difference, then the gain is not going to be slight (probably in the 10-20 HP range). It won't set your hair on fire, but would be one less thing to do when cam swap time comes.
BTW, if you have blowby, it might not be such a good candidate for a lot of mods. Maybe a rebuild, first?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was thinking I'd do this during the summer when my mechanic friend gets back from whatever country he's going to be in. Not planning on doing a cam on my engine as I'm planning on getting a Golen 396 in a year or two.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's a 2-3k dollar rebuild.haha

if I could do it myself id do it right away but I wouldn't even try. all that machine work. doesn't sound too fun. or possible in my own garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts