LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 3 months ago I was looking up different torque converters for my 94 Camaro z28. So far it has the major bolt ons, and I'll be doing long tubes and an X pipe next month. After that I hear the best benefit is from a stall and tires. So I'm upgrading my stall somewhat soon. Probably 2 months.

The plan was to do my kooks long tubes, get a stall, get some 315 wide summer tires, and then later get some et streets. Then I started working my valet job. Turns out one of the guys there, Jeff, is the owner of pro torque. He can get me a great deal on one of his $3,000 torque converters, and I can get 1 change of the stall within 90 days. He also can get me a good deal on some et streets and my kooks headers! What a crazy outcome getting this job was.

Now he suggests that I should do 3000. I told him I want to do 3600 and he said it would be undriveable. That I'd just be spinning everywhere. I hear people say they run 3600 on a bolt on car. I can change the stall once for free. Should I get the 3000 like he recommends, and then see if I want it higher? What would you guys do? Pro torque has pretty much the best stuff out there and I'd be stupid to pass a deal like this.

Also in the distant future I want to do a forged 383 with at least 400rwhp. I know by that time the bigger stall would work well, I'm just not sure if I can do the 3600 until then. Also, it is my only car and my daily driver. 19 year old college student here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
How much are these Torque Converters? Never heard of the company before but maybe others can chime in. 3.6k stall would seem much to me with a stock cam but I know people have done it before. I'm running a 3800 stall on my build with no issues like he claims.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They run over $2,000. Very expensive but they really are the best out there in terms of what they do. I'll be able to get one for less than the price of a yank. Here's a poster that he gave me of the cars that run his converter. Note that these times are a mix of 1/8 and 1/4 mile times.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
There is a huge difference between a Pro Street Car and essentially a Daily Driver. This is why Precision Industries and Yank hit it big with their verters. They are very streetable while giving you a high stall speed. Like I said, I've never heard of this company so hopefully someone else can chime in here.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Hey! Actually, I know the very first car on that poster. I've talked to Tim Lynch a couple times because his "Corvette" was built at Skinny Kid Racing right up the road from me. I could give Skinny Kid a call and see what they have to say about using that verter on a street car, they would know.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man if you can do that for me it'll be great! I plan on keeping it bolt on for now until maybe a year or two down the road. Then I'll be searching for 400rwhp.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I've heard nothing but good about Pro Torque. With stock cam a 3000 would be good. You can always get it restalled when you build your 383. A good quality converter company can reconfigure it pretty cheap compared to a new one.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've been using Protorque converters for 10 years and I've been a distributor for over 7. One of the nicest converters out there as far as performance and reliability. We have customers that are successful with both Yank and Vigilante also. The Vig. has proven to be the least reliable out of those 3. They used to be a much better converter, but it appears as though their quality control has nose dived in the past 4-5 years.
It's no surprise that Protorque is suggesting less stall than what you might think you need. Trust me, Joe Jr., and Mike both know what they're doing, though. I get that response from many customers when I talk to Protorque for a converter recommendation. "I thought I'd need more stall than that". When comparing stall converters, you should take comparing brand Xs stall with brand Ys stall with a grain of salt. What some advertise as a 3600 or 3800 will never really stall that in the real world. Obviously build quality is as imprtant as stall. A poorly built converter will be less efficient and cost performance. This is mainly because they're still slipping too much on the top end. Data logs have shown that converters from Edge are notorious for too much top end slip, wheras the Yank and Protorque tend to be more efficient. I just built a 4L60E for an Impala SS that the customer got a good deal on a "3800 stall" Edge for. The car was lacking MPH, so we borrowed another customers lap top to data log it, and proved the top end slip. We swapped the converter with a 3200 stall Protorque and the car picked up 6 MPH and dropped .125". 60 ft. times were also better, although I don't remember the exact figures. Yank converters work very well as far as 60 ft. and MPH too. We have one customer running 1.43 60 ft. times with a "Bolt On" LS1 car that has a Yank in it.

If you're interested in a Protorque, let me know which one. I might be able to save you a little money on it because I'm a distributor.

Frank

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm getting the biggest one I can get. I'm not sure which one that is just yet. If anyone knows the best tranny cooler for our cars let me know

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
TruCool 4490 cooler. We use them on everything that they will fit pn. Stay away from cheap "tube and fin" design coolers. Look for the "stacked plate" style.

Frank

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would you be able to give me a direct link? I just looked it up and there seems to be so many different ones with different numbers I'm not familiar with. I don't mean to be a pain but I want to get everything planned out now and get what's best for my car you know? I hate doing things twice or wrong the first time.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Would you be able to give me a direct link? I just looked it up and there seems to be so many different ones with different numbers I'm not familiar with. I don't mean to be a pain but I want to get everything planned out now and get what's best for my car you know? I hate doing things twice or wrong the first time.

No problem at all. This is what you're looking for. Long Tru-Cool LPD Transmission Oil Cooler 4490 22, 000 GVW : Amazon.com : Automotive

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts