LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Summer I am planning on undercoating my T/A's underside. I plan on using POR15 and sanding down the little patches of rust that are in various spots too. My car is not very rusty underneath but I will probably have to drive during the winter in a year so I'm trying to gather information now on how to protect my car's underside. I've done a little bit of research but have found mixed opinions on the matter, the few questions I have regarding undercoating are as follows:

1. After using a degreaser/cleaner is it absolutely necessary to use the metal prep? or could I simply just apply the POR15, especially since I will be sanding down rust spots?

2. How much POR15 would I probably need to undercoat the floorpan and frame? I would also like to coat the axle and LCAs. Would a quart be enough to coat the underside?

Thanks

·
Global Moderator
12,962 Posts
I have never used the product. Read the instructions that comes with por15 and see what they say. If you have questions, I'm betting they have a website or 800 number you can call to get any info you need.

I've always used black jack roof coating thinned with some mineral spirits to under coat my cars. The stuff kept my 1960's & 70's Italian cars from rusting, it should work with any car.

The key to black jack is that it's a tar based product that remains flexible for years. The flexibility is important as underside of car takes a beating.

If you decide to use black jack, prime & paint the bare spots. Then let paint cure a couple of weeks before coating.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
Por15 needs something to grab onto. The metal ready etches the metal so the por15 will have something to bite. You definitely want to use it. Put it in a spray bottle and go to town. The directions explain everything. A quart should cover what you want to do, it goes a long way if you don't paint too thick. Also, summer is over :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, that just about clears up all my questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts