LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i was thinking,, for a daily driver car (more specificly an LT1 Camaro Manual Trans.) now in a stock form, what you think is better a Turbo or a Supercharger for the daily use and maintenance wise??? also do you think the normal bolt on's would do enought without the need to FI and keep the engine NA???
thanks.

-moku

·
Registered
227 Posts
turbo > supercharger fuel efficiency wise

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pretty vague post. What are your plans for the car?

·
Harbinger of War
1,074 Posts
well a FI is always better for daily driving.. cause its more like power on demand .. when u go NA u got to increase the comp ratio and more so its a lot harder to save gas and drive efficentyl

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trevor86TA said:
Pretty vague post. What are your plans for the car?
to clear it out,,, my plan is to get a 4th gen Camaro,, mostly models 1994/1996 so it will be an LT1 engine,, it's gonna be my only car so it's the daily driver, i'm always interisted in Modding it, but in the same way i don't wanna loose the comfort of the daily driver, also i'm not an extreme street racer, i used to drive 4wheelers all the time, i already know alot about what i'm gonna do looks wise, but on performance wise, i wanna upgrade it but not too much, so this is my question, which is better in maintanince wise and Durability?? also should i forget the FI issue and go for bolt ons?? keep in mind i'll be useing it in Dubai, which is REALLY REALLY HOT.. hope this clears things out..

·
Registered
42 Posts
sounds to me like you don't have the experience/know how to properly build and maintain a forced induction car(no offense, and FWIW I don't have the experience either), nor that you are looking for the high hp gains that you would get from forced induction. Start off with the bolt ons and leave it at that until you feel the need to get more power.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey, no offense taken at all, thanks you alot, that's very usefull tip. sure thing i'm not so experiance for i don't own a car yet & that's why i'm asking,, i'm cool when it comes to the old 350 chevy motor as i used t own an old 78' GMC blazer,, i'm learning from all of you out there.. thanks again..

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
generally speaking... a turbo would be better suited for daily driving duties IMO. As long as the supporting parts are up to the task, the turbo would drive just like normal on the street until you hit the loud stick and build some boost.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris89GTA said:
generally speaking... a turbo would be better suited for daily driving duties IMO. As long as the supporting parts are up to the task, the turbo would drive just like normal on the street until you hit the loud stick and build some boost.
thanks for the input, but wont a supercharger be easier on the long run, maintanence and installing??

·
Registered
221 Posts
Commando said:
thanks for the input, but wont a supercharger be easier on the long run, maintanence and installing??
yeah....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
For a daily, I'd prefer a turbo.

and you'll end up making more power with one, anyway

·
Registered
221 Posts
CamTom12 said:
For a daily, I'd prefer a turbo.

and you'll end up making more power with one, anyway

supposedly turbo gets better milage.. i have never checked to confirm...

turbos are costly and take up much more room... but they make more power with the same boost. It would, in most cases, be easier to work on a supercharged car than a turbo car. But bang for your buck i think turbo.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
LT1-TA said:
supposedly turbo gets better milage.. i have never checked to confirm...

turbos are costly and take up much more room... but they make more power with the same boost. It would, in most cases, be easier to work on a supercharged car than a turbo car. But bang for your buck i think turbo.
ok i dont know much about FI, i got the basic concept down, but what i want to know is, how can a turbo make more power with the same boost

i always thought boost is boost, whether its made by turbo or SC

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Superchargers are more parasitic, with a belt right on the accessory drive.

Turbos only introduce a bit of back-pressure in the exhaust.

My recommendation for turbos goes for the capacity to make more boost & for the ability to stay out of boost (right foot, if you can anyway lol)

·
Registered
45 Posts
From what I have learned from personal experience and from school, a supercharger is best for the track. A turbo is better for a daily driver for many reasons, but there are pros and cons to both. 1) A turbo can actually help gas mileage or have little effect on it because of more usable power (Lots of debate behind this) means how a turbo is mainly torque. 2) A turbo requires alot less maintenance and is easier to get better boost out of without parasiting your motor. (Just change the oil more often) Where as a supercharger needs special gaskets and alot more modding. 3) Again, a blower is alot worse on gas mileage than a turbo. 4) A turbo is not as consistant as a supercharger, means how a supercharger is constantly forcing in psi where as a turbo has to spool up. But then again, you get more power out of a turbo boost then you do supercharger boost. This is a short list, maybe this site may help you more than me. Again this is all just my opinion. http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jalmeida/turbo.html

·
Registered
174 Posts
Turbo is way better and quiter than any supercharger. As was said with a super air is always forced in at idle. No one mentioned the fact of tunning. Super cars are much harder due to that air at idle going through the mass air, it gives it fits. Turbo is considered free HP especially since there is no drive belt. The chevy dealer where I worked had a perf shop with dyno, so I've seen my share of both setups. Supers were very loud and turbos you could hardly hear. But a car that was very fun to drive was a C5 with super and catback and nothing else and scary fast was a Ligenfelter twin T 427 Z06 760RWHP that you had no idea it was a real beast since it was so quite.

As far as your question stick with boltons for a daily. Once you start doing other things you only get more complicated. If your going with any real HP have a daily that is stock and reliable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts