LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051228/FREE/51228003/1024/LATESTNEWS

Turbocharged Pontiac Solstice GXP to pack 260 hp

AutoWeek | Published 12/28/05, 11:12 am et
The much-anticipated, high-performance variant of the Pontiac Solstice roadster will be unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show, packing turbo power as we predicted six months ago (News, July 11, 2005).

A 2.0-liter, turbocharged direct-injected four-cylinder making 260 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque will power the Solstice GXP. Look for the boosted Pontiac in showrooms this summer as a 2007 model?at a $4,000 to $5,000 premium over the naturally aspirated Solstice.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Schweet!!! Ole Settlemeyer was right that there were a good group of cars in the works over the past few years and to be patient. Who would have thought we would have seen a turbo Miata fighter, a V8 Monte again, and a Camaro!!!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Product out of GM is lightyears ahead of just a couple years ago IMO, the business structure and costs are what's killing them now, whereas before it was mediocre product.

We've now got:
World Class C6 Vette
Hot selling HHR
Hot selling Solstice
Hot selling Impala
Hot selling GP GXP
Good selling Colorado/Canyon
Hot selling Equinox
New full size SUV's debuting in '06
New full size trucks after that
Caddy's whole line is selling well
The Lucerne and LaCrosse re-charge buick
Fairly hot G6
Hot selling Cobalt
Trailblazer selling well

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Totally agree w/ ya on that Chris. Product like is killer IMO. Problem is there is still a terrible stigma that goes w/ American car products, and GM in particular. They have to get over that along w/ reorg to really get back into the top tier of the car builders.

As for the cars, the most impressive part of it for me is that Cadillac has changed how it was. Its not your daddy's Caddy anymore. Their average target has changed from the retiree's to actually hitting more of the market that BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes hit on for so long. When you see a guy in his early 30s in a sharp looking Caddy, its just the same as seeing him in a Beemer IMO.

Trucks and SUVs continue to sell, and the Trailblazer and the big trucks prove it. Gas might slow it a little, but Americans still want big. I am all for the S10 replacement Colorado/Canyon. Great looking trucks w/ a good style to them. Well done.

HHR is a killer car to me. Just took a niche the PT Cruiser and made it so much better. Cobalt is a kick ass car. Mom rented one and I loved it. I traded cars w/ her for a day when i still had the C4.

Then there is the C6. Wow. Great combinated of all generations of Vettes, along w/ a technological wonder of a motor. Z06... exotic Domestic... Nothing else needs to be said...

GM is on an upswing. People like the cars. They need to get out of all the Union BS they are stuck under IMO and do a complete reorg like you said Chris. Which is what they are starting. Prime example: Mom's uncle has been retired from GM for 30 years now. STILL DRAWS A PENSION!!! That is a killer IMO to a company. Sucks you dry. Plus people making way more than they deserve under a system that Unions run. Companies cannot expect to make profit and keep employees free from possible layoffs and firings if the Unions do not take a step back and quit asking them to give give give, when the pockets have been empty for years...

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 things GM can do to revive the golden era, and none of these are easy:

1. Get employer paid healthcare costs under control both for union and corporate types
2. Move union workers to a defined contribution retirement plan rather than a defined benefit plan (aka 401k instead of a pension, that way the costs are known and much easier to control rather than increasing over time)
3. Close excess capacity plants and terminate both white and blue collar workforce that is in excess. (They're doing this now)
4. eliminate the rebate culture that they and Ford have created where everybody expects to pay way less than sticker. Good product helps, but value pricing will help too.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Hey Just so you guys can start druling i have original spy photos of a stepped up looks like trailblazer/envoy im waiting on sprint to get my internet working on my phone .. but i got a good shot considering it was a behind the back shot while driving my 6 speed through the glass .. actually would i be allowed to post such a thing .. i dont want to get anyone in trouble (certainly not me)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
339 Posts
You guys are alot more optimistic then I am on GM. They still have a long way to go. Nobody is buying their cars still except when they offer large rebates and incentives. The buying public has gotten used to waiting for incentives to buy, and it will be hard to break them of that. They still are slow to respond to product issues. Take the CTS-V for example. It takes GM 3 models years to fix a chronic rear end failure problem in an almost $60,000 performance car? Or how about all the people who put money down on Solstices due to heavy advertising of a car that was still 6-8 months away from being available? My mom's dealership alone lost sales on several Solstices from people who had put money down back in spring only to still not see a car in November. How long did GM expect people to wait? Especially for a car most had never even got a chance to sit in or even drive for that matter. They need to learn to respect their long term customers and the people who have stood by GM thru the years and give those people cars they can be proud of. For whatever reason I continue to get the feeling that the only customer GM truley gives a damn about is their Corvette customers. I keep waiting for GM to excite the 25-40 year olds. Sure they have the GXP and Monte, but the drive wheels are on the wrong end, both cars would be must have's if they would have had the intelligence to make the RWD. Driving a 300 hp front wheel drive car is no difference then the supercharged 3800. Just costs more. They just continue to let the other car companies lead the pack, and they then follow up behind a couple years later and pretend to be innovative. It's sad.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Transamman25 said:
Hey Just so you guys can start druling i have original spy photos of a stepped up looks like trailblazer/envoy im waiting on sprint to get my internet working on my phone .. but i got a good shot considering it was a behind the back shot while driving my 6 speed through the glass .. actually would i be allowed to post such a thing .. i dont want to get anyone in trouble (certainly not me)

PM them to either me or Chris and we'll make the call.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if they're actual spy shots taken by you on the street then they're your property to post/share. Its when people leak actual GM photos that its a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts