LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the topics on handheld tuners, but I'm a novice and nothing screamed...hey tard get this one. Any advice on which handheld will be adequate for my upgrades? .030 over, 52mm TB, 30lb injectors, built bottom end, built Trans, 3k stall converter, 255lb hr fuel pump, 3:73 gears. 280 XFI hr 13 duration @ .050 230/236 576/571 with a 113 LSA.

Side note: I spoke to Lloyd yesterday and he mentioned that I will make power when I get a real cam. I have No idea what he meant by that. I thought this cam was badass.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
He meant not getting a catalog cam, that 230/236 on a 113 is not ideal for our platform. A custom grind from him or AI or someone who knows this platform will make more power and be more driveable.

By handheld do you mean like hypertech? No handheld is worth the plastic case it came in. Get a mail order custom tune from trifecta, pcm4less or Ed wright among others.

What are the details of your "built bottom end"

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He meant not getting a catalog cam, that 230/236 on a 113 is not ideal for our platform. A custom grind from him or AI or someone who knows this platform will make more power and be more driveable.

By handheld do you mean like hypertech? No handheld is worth the plastic case it came in. Get a mail order custom tune from trifecta, pcm4less or Ed wright among others.

What are the details of your "built bottom end"
Sorry it took me so long to respond,
Wouldn't the +/- degree option adjust timing to compensate for the LSA? My bottom end is forged Scat.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
No, the LSA is ground into the cam. LSA stands for "Lobe Separation Angle" and cannot be changed without regrinding the cam.

The ICL, or "Intake Center Line" is also a critical spec, and is what you change by advancing or retarding the cam when degreeing it in...

BTW, ALL camshafts MUST be degreed when installed. Mistakes are made by camshaft manufacturers, and you won't know it unless you degree the cam. My GM847 cam (ground by Crane) was ground 9 degrees retarded from where it was supposed to be. If I had just pulled it out of the box, blown the dust off of it and installed it, my $12K+ engine would have been a real pig...!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know, that manufacturers aren't completely competent. So the only way to ensure that the cam is set up correctly is to degree it during installation. The ICL is 109.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes, you HAVE to verify their work...!

At a 109 ICL and with a 113 LSA, that cam would be 4 degrees advanced. I would like this cam a lot better if it was ground on about a 109 or 110 degree LSA, and then installed at about a 107 or 108 degree ICL.

You can set the ICL wherever you want it to be (within reason) when degreeing the cam. It is a tuning "tool" that you have at your disposal. As a general rule, advancing the cam will bring the peak power rpm lower, and retarding it will raise it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With that being fact, I won't be took quick to buy another off the shelf cam ever. What is affected by the LCA? I mean how much of a difference would be noticed with the LSA at 110 as compared to 113 with the iCL that you mentioned?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A wider LSA tends to have a wider, yet less pronounced torque curve. They are also a little more forgiving when it comes time to tune them because they will have less overlap than a cam with a narrower LSA.

A narrower LSA will tend to have a narrower, but more pronounced torque curve (it will make more power, but over a little narrower rpm range).

These are somewhat generalized statements, and every cam is different, but LT1's tend to like a little tighter LSA's than many off-the-shelf cams for the LT's are ground with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts