LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok taking into consideration what 95Z said " Setting TDC isn't required b/c the opti goes onto the pin." I installed the Opti with the proper slot pushed into the cam and now im getting spark but it still wont fire up. i made sure the distributor base timing mark (#1 on distribuor) was lined up with the camshaft sprocket pin slot when i installed it (note: when i turned the crank snout so that the camshaft pin would be in the proper location for the camshaft sprocket pin slot to be lined up with distributor base timing mark #1 the #1 piston didn't seem to be at the exact top of the motor, i came to that conclusion by using a plasic zip tie to see how far it would go down.) On that note i also have excessivly tried starting the car to the point where it drained out a new battery and i was told that spark plugs that get soaked in gasoline are shot and will not work anymore. So basically after that long story should i install new plugs and try starting it risking another soaking? or is the car not starting because the #1 piston has to be exactly at the top of the motor?

·
Registered
203 Posts
change your spark plugs, i bet they are done, and i would put new wires on as well if you haven't already while you have it all pulled appart. Now is also a nice time to upgrade to a 160 degree thermostat. ;)

good luck

might have a bad O2 sensor as well, throwing a CEL?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definately will change the wires thanks i'll do try it first thing in the morning do i need to re-pull the distributor to set it back to #1 or should it still set ? im not sure about the o2 sensor? i'll get a scan tool from autozone and see if it's giving me that code. the lowest thermo i could find was 180 so i put that in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Definately will change the wires thanks i'll do try it first thing in the morning do i need to re-pull the distributor to set it back to #1 or should it still set ? im not sure about the o2 sensor? i'll get a scan tool from autozone and see if it's giving me that code. the lowest thermo i could find was 180 so i put that in.
any parts store should have it, found mine that way, maybe ask. As for as pulling the opti again, i would do it and make sure you have everything line up properly. Set your engine to TDC everything will be lined up and you will know you are good to go, easier to work with the engine TDC anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh cool thanks for the diagram so that kinda solves the head ache, i kept turning the crank until the cam dowel was in the proper position and #1 piston would never be exactly TDC. So just for clarification as long as the pin on the cam is in that dowel indicator slot it wont matter if the slot is pointing to the #1 mark on the distributor?

·
Registered
425 Posts
i lined up the pin when i did my opti and haven't looked back. I didn't worry about tdc. Took the old off, slapped on the new, sure it took 3 tries but it fit right on. The biggest pain was the plugs and wires on the passenger side.....uuugggghhhhhhhh

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
:choppingw
Why did you start another whole thread on this? It's a lot easier to follow in one thread and people don't waste time posting the same things that have already been said.

So just for clarification as long as the pin on the cam is in that dowel indicator slot it wont matter if the slot is pointing to the #1 mark on the distributor?
No matter how many times it is asked, the answer is yes. However, to be able to slide the opti by the crank hub (as long as it is in the stock position relative to the crank), the engine should be at #1 or #6 TDC.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
is this the confused opti thread?.... or is it the one next door?

·
Registered
710 Posts
this thread hurts my brain

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Ok taking into consideration what 95Z said " Setting TDC isn't required b/c the opti goes onto the pin." I installed the Opti with the proper slot pushed into the cam and now im getting spark but it still wont fire up. i made sure the distributor base timing mark (#1 on distribuor) was lined up with the camshaft sprocket pin slot when i installed it (note: when i turned the crank snout so that the camshaft pin would be in the proper location for the camshaft sprocket pin slot to be lined up with distributor base timing mark #1 the #1 piston didn't seem to be at the exact top of the motor, i came to that conclusion by using a plasic zip tie to see how far it would go down.) On that note i also have excessivly tried starting the car to the point where it drained out a new battery and i was told that spark plugs that get soaked in gasoline are shot and will not work anymore. So basically after that long story should i install new plugs and try starting it risking another soaking? or is the car not starting because the #1 piston has to be exactly at the top of the motor?
It takes gas, air and spark to ignite and at the proper time, do you have that..? Dump the optispark for the Torqhead 24x system. Not only will you do away with the problematic optispark but you'll get an OB11 PCM, coil over plug and about a 25 hp and torgue gain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts