LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 94 formula with a bad transmission, from other posts i have read i understand that i can put a 4l60e out of other bodies if i change the tailhousing? as long as it is a 94 4l60e?

1: junk yardas say they are not compatible with the f body, so i may ask what is the difference in the tailhousing that they need changed? and how does this make them compatible?

2: is the tranny out of a 94 buick roadmaster ok? other posts say caprice or impala, or even a 2wd truck, but saw no mention of the roadmaster... i assume it is good though guy at junk yard told me it would go in a caprice as well... is there anything else special i need to know to make this swap?. thanks for any and all help, trying to get the info as fast as possible got a yard that will sell me one for $400 with a 6mos warranty sounds like a good deal to me for a used one, with a warranty. most others want more and a 40day is best they give. cant afford a rebuild atm so that is out for now.

just liked to be informed so sorry for all the questions. and sorry if they have been asked a thousand times before, been searching info til my head hurts...lol

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The 4th gen camaros use a torque arm rear suspension. The torque arm bolts to the tail housing. No other vehicle has the mounts for the arm. Changing the tail housing only requires taking out 4 15MM bolts that hold it on.
Yes, a Roadmaster trans will work. The only real difference is it won't have the "Corvette" servo that your F-Body has.

Frank

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 4th gen camaros use a torque arm rear suspension. The torque arm bolts to the tail housing. No other vehicle has the mounts for the arm. Changing the tail housing only requires taking out 4 15MM bolts that hold it on.
ok that makes sense thanks

Yes, a Roadmaster trans will work. The only real difference is it won't have the "Corvette" servo that your F-Body has.

Frank
i assume that the servo from my burnt tranny (3/4 clutch pack big shocker huh) could be swapped in? is it that big a deal? i running stock build, will the vette server make shifts feel better?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The servo isn't hard to swap. It will help both the 1-2 and 2-3 upshift.

If you already know about the 3-4 clutch issues, why would you buy one from a junk yard? Chances are, the 3-4s on any stock trans are going to be gone or on their way out. You can have one built for $750. Why take the chance?

Frank

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand what you are saying and honestly if I had the $750 I would. However I work construction. And just coming.off layoff I am practically breaking the bank now for the $400 for the junk yard one. It comes with a 6month warranty. If it lasts that long I have been back to work long enough to catch up the bills and save for the rebuild. Actually have been wanting.to do a t56 for awhile.so may just save up for that instead. Right now it's all about the money I have to play with. More then anything

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is actually the search engine I found it on. I found better prices on others but by the time I drive to get it I will spend the difference in fuel, don't seen to be many around my neck of the woods

·
Registered
74 Posts

Frank
The Roadmasters,FW's and LT1 Caprices do have the Corvette servo, LT1's should have them from the factory. L99 (4.3 V8) Did not.

LT1 vs. L99 Trans differences:
4L60Es in L99 4.3L V8 cars come with a smaller servo than the LT1 5.7L V8 cars, which come with the cor-“vette” servo for more holding power on the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. If an L99 4L60E is going behind an LT1 engine, the servo assembly should be swapped over before installed (easily accessible on the passenger-side of the case). TransGo also sells a vette servo that can be installed as part of their 4L60E HD-2C reprogramming kit. Also, the boost valve is smaller (again, Transgo fixes), and it is possible that some holes in the separator plate are smaller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts