LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been researching for 2 days, and my eyes are about to bleed and my brain explode, so i gonna post my problem here, and sorry if it has already been asked or answered, just cant take any more searching.

ok i started off to work yesterday, and everything was great, about half way there my car revved in 4th, and barely pulled. i stopped at first service station and checked tranny fluid (which i had been keeping on eye on since i just bought the car 3 weeks ago) and bam it was 1.5 qts low, so i topped if off...not sure where it went as i chek under it pretty much everytime i drive for leaks, and yes it was topped off when i got it. so now here is what i am seeing

alot of ppl say that the 3/4 bands are prone to breakdown, however up to this point i had experienced no slipping in teh tranny at all it shifted fine not to hard does not slide into gear or anything. 1st 2nd and reverse work fine.

now if i let i coast down a hill, in 3rd it feels like it is trying to catch and hold the car back but doesnt really, if i rev it a bit in drive at 45 or so it will catch gear and stay there but i realised today that it is actually catching 2nd and not forth as if i manually shift it to second there is no change in the gear...

with those syptoms and research on how the tranny works i am thinking one of the shift solinoids may be malfuntionig? is this possible or is the 3/4 clutches just burnt up even though there was no evident slipping before hand not even a little that i noticed

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
3-4 clutches are gone. Cpmmon problem in factory 4L60Es and unfortunately many rebuilt 4L60Es if the builder doesn't know how to fix the design flaws.

Frank

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
3-4 clutches are gone. Cpmmon problem in factory 4L60Es and unfortunately many rebuilt 4L60Es if the builder doesn't know how to fix the design flaws.

Frank
yep had it diagnosed at local tranny shop today, and that is what they say that it more then likely it......sigh.

dont have tha cash for the rebuild, and i know i will probably get flamed for saying it, but off to see if i can find a used one.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Don't have it rebuilt until you can afford to have it done CORRECTLY...!

The 3-4 clutch is a very common failure. In fact, it is by far the most common 4L60E failure that I see in my shop. There are many ways to assemble the 3-4 clutch, but only a couple that will actually last and put up with some abuse. Make sure whoever builds it for you knows what they are doing or you will be right back with the same problem.

I am, at this moment, assembling my third 4L60E this week alone. Two of them had been "rebuilt" at other local shops in the not-too-distant past and both had torched 3-4's (big surprise...). Teardown of both of them revealed that neither of them really had any chance of surviving because of very poor assembly and setup.

Choose your builders and setups wisely...!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts