LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 2000 firebird V-6 automatic trans fluid was leaking out from the trans filler tube grommet. I was able to take out the filler tube but now can't seem to replace the trans filler tube grommet without ripping the new grommet. I was wondering if this means my filler tube is probably bent wrong as in the previous owners took it out and messed it up. The problem is I put the new grommet in place and when I try re-inserting the filler tube I can't quite center it as its going in. It scrapes the side of the opening and rips the new grommet in the process. I'v tried taking out the trans crossmember and lowering the trans but no luck. Am I gonna have to drop the whole engine and trans together just to replace this one little grommet?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I feel your pain, I kinda had a similar problem a while back. I dont know
if this will help but I would buy a couple of grommets just in case. Try
to use some very sticky grease, I would coat the grommet and also
lightly coat the mating part in the transmission;that may allow everything
to seat well and go back together without destroying the grommet.Also be careful,try not to get any grease inside your transmission. Good luck, ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't try grease but did oil up the tube and grommet and ripped up two grommets in the process. This is my third grommet. I got the grommet halfway in and hasnt leaked so far in a two weeks . The curves in the filler tube keep hitting the firewall and and chassis and the tube has no give in it whatsoever for maneuvering.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Are you sure you have the proper trans tube? Are you sure its not bent?
Can you compare your trans tube to another one from the same vehicle,
transmission combination? The re-placement of a trans tube is sometimes
difficult,make sure to bring a good quantity of patience to the garage when you are working on it. ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts