LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got a little time (and warm weather) to work on the car today. I attempted to pull the driveshaft out but it was stuck in the trans. After I pryed it out I looked at the splines in the yoke and they are twisted, the tailshaft is fine, no bad bearing like I thought at first. The yoke was wobbling on the tailshaft too, I guess that's where my vibration was coming from. I've had a vibration in the drivetrain ever since the car was brand new, just wondering if this yoke has been the problem the whole time. Time for a new yoke and then see what the next weakest link is. GM put the crappiest drivetrain in these cars.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking on Summit and found a Strange yoke but it says for drag racing use only, not for continuous use, anybody know why??

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
No clue on the Strange unit. Mine's actually twisted too....the splies in the yoke.

I'm looking at buying a Strange steel DS with 1350 ujoints and upgraded trans yoke from Billingsley for $300 and keep the stocker for a backup.

I'm afraid if I twist it any more it might not come off the car again. I just had to pry it a tad to get it off this time.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Let me also add my DS was NOT twisted before I put the M6 in the car. I went to the track once with the 6 speed and Nittos and the DS yoke twisted. So, yes, you're right, GM put some flimsy driveshafts in these cars, but hey, if they put in everything we wanted the cars would have been $40,000.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just emailed strange to see why that yoke isn't for continuous use, maybe they'll answer me back.

I would have gladly paid a lil extra for a lil beefier drivetrain but my peeve is the car has vibrated from day one and from what I hear it's a fairly common thing on these cars. I don't expect them to put a racing drivetrain under the car but a lil beefier stuff would have been nice considering the power they make straight from the factory. I mean come on now a 10 bolt in these cars??!! lol Oh well, I'm taking care of that now!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to ask, how much is that Billingsley yoke and where you getting it from??

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I think GM was trying to keep the weight down, and remember when they first started putting 10 bolts in them (1982) they were only making 165hp, LOL.

Let me know what Strange says.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one of those bad ass cars of the 80's. I bought an 84 TA in 91, had a mind numbing 150 hp 305. lol It was a pretty car but damn that thing was slow! I should have kept that car and turned it into a drag car but instead I traded it in on the 96.

You might not have caught my question since you were posting the same time I was, how much was that billingsley yoke and where you gettin it from?

Gotta go to work, adios!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I didn't buy a billingsley Yoke....I am thinking about buying the Strange driveshaft that comes with an upgraded U joint...and buying it from Billingsley Racing. Its not a billingsley yoke...billingsley is the vendor.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm probably gonna go with the Moser yoke. My thinking on the strange yoke is this, it's made for drag racing so it's hardened pretty good, the more you harden something the more brittle it is and withstands less flex before it breaks therefore it wouldn't stand up to the everyday abuse of street driving. I dunno, maybe they'll email me back.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Strange emailed me back and they have no clue why Summit has the yoke listed that way, they say it's fine for street use. I informed them that they have all their yokes listed that way. lol So Strange it is, should be here thursday so maybe I'll get to hit the track friday night after work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts