LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a autometer tans temp gauge and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on were to put the sending unit for it? One told me a bolt about half way up the transmission on the drivers side the is the exact size's but he said that no fluid will come out. Now i was thinking that the gauge is suppose to read the trans fluid temp right? Im still kinda new to all of this
Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
NOt real forsure on your car but I would think that the best place would be is on the line going from the trans to the trans cooler. A tee from the local auto parts store should be able to get what you need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
8UWAV6 said:
NOt real forsure on your car but I would think that the best place would be is on the line going from the trans to the trans cooler. A tee from the local auto parts store should be able to get what you need.
Yep, I did this on my 95' T'd the senor on the trans cooler line. I wanted to see how accurate it was and on the 4L60E there is a thermistor in the pan for the PCM to monitor trans temp. So I plugged in the laptop checked out the trans temp and compared to the autometer and it was within 1 degree. and I installed the T closer to the radiator then the trans.

BTW we carry auto meter so if you need anything let me know.
-=Rick

·
Registered
388 Posts
I put mine into the bolt hole near the top on the driver's side like you mentioned and my readings seem to be accurate. Haven't did an exact monitoring with Autotap or anything like that but given driving and weather conditions the temp is where it should be in each circumstance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
8UWAV6 said:
That is where I put mine. I feel the temperature there is probably ALMOST as accurate as the probe being in the tranny pan.

·
victim of circumstances
444 Posts
This is an old thread but I'd like to use it instead of creating a new one for my question.

I too have a trans temp gauge (stewart warner brand). Rob of the famous http://www.shbox.com has an excellent picture of the A4 pressure port with the 1/8" NPT plug. Is this the place you are referring to and is it okay to use it for a temperature sensor probe?

Here's the link to the place Rob shows:

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey

When you install the sensor in the line pressure tap you?re putting it into a dead ended fluid tap. It will only read the temp of the transmission case.

When you tap into the out going (cooler) line (as Rick has suggested) your getting the true temp right out of the converter, This is as hot as it gets.

When you tap into the return line (lube) this tells you how cool your fluid is after the cooler has done its work. You see this lube oil is directed into the trans. and sent directly to the gear train to cool the planets, and then fall into the pan, to be sucked up into the filter and starts over again.

When you check the fluid in the pan your getting what is called running temperature of the transmission. This is a perfect place for the transmission information when you?re running stock.

However when your running a Hi stall wouldn?t you want to know how hot it is getting? This is where we recommend putting the sender unit, as this is where you can see how hot your getting coming off a run. I hope this helps ?Dave

·
victim of circumstances
444 Posts
Rock-On said:
When you check the fluid in the pan your getting what is called running temperature of the transmission. This is a perfect place for the transmission information when you’re running stock.

However when your running a Hi stall wouldn’t you want to know how hot it is getting? This is where we recommend putting the sender unit, as this is where you can see how hot your getting coming off a run. I hope this helps …Dave
I'm running stock and probably want the running temperature. Checking the temperature of the case seems like the last on the list of where I would want to put the probe. Now it's a matter of rigging something up. Can I drill and braze something to accept the bung? Should I make some kind of junction block out of aluminum, put a 1/8 NPT in it for the probe and run the out going cooler lines through it?

What parts should I be looking for to make such a thing? If I buy a transmission cooler can I more easily make something to receive the probe and expose it to out going oil? I'm looking for ideas and suggestions....

Here's my probe with a bung adapter:

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
01Z said:
What parts should I be looking for to make such a thing? If I buy a transmission cooler can I more easily make something to receive the probe and expose it to out going oil? I'm looking for ideas and suggestions....

Here's my probe with a bung adapter:

Thanks!
I had a threaded block that I used for mine, but I installed a trans temp gauge on a friends car a while back, same exact temp sender as you have... I went to the local hardware store and bought a brass T and a couple of barbed ends to slide trans cooler hoses onto, he had a trans cooler already installed. worked great.
-=Rick

·
victim of circumstances
444 Posts
Hey thank you! I'll get under the car and look at the lines to see what I need. It's good to know the solution is relatively easy. :)

·
victim of circumstances
444 Posts
Rock-On said:
When you tap into the return line (lube) this tells you how cool your fluid is after the cooler has done its work. You see this lube oil is directed into the trans. and sent directly to the gear train to cool the planets, and then fall into the pan, to be sucked up into the filter and starts over again.

I hope this helps ?Dave
Dave, does this tell me the hot line is the lower one that comes out of the transmission and goes to the bottom of the radiator?

Also, since the line is a molded one, I would think I can cut that small 4-6 inch section in order to insert a Tee?

Thanks again.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Either upload as an attachment or host the pic somewhere else and use the IMG tags to link it here.

·
victim of circumstances
444 Posts
If you are using windows xp then you've got it easy. You need a digital camera which has a usb port connection. Most digitals, even the inexpensive ones have this port. It looks like a tiny D and is likely behind a door on the camera body. You must have a usb cord that specifically works between the camera and a usb port on the computer. The USB receptacle on the PC will be much larger than the camera and it will be a rectangle with what looks like a small slab of porcelain inside. Once the camera is connected to the PC via the cable, windows should automagically find the camera, consider it another drive and you will be able to cut / copy and paste the image.

You will probably want to upload the image you are interested in to a web service that will hold the image and give you a link to the image. I use tinypic.com because they are free and reliable.

Once the image is on the server such as tinypic.com you can copy the link they give you and then select the picture icon on the forum thread. The rest is elementary. I'm guessing you want to post a picture of where to tap into the cooling system....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I give up on the pictures...what I was going to say is we use a 1/4 npt Tee, then on each end we install 1/4 npt X 5/16 crimp style connectors on the other part of the tee we install a 1/4 X1/8 npt reducer, thats what we install the sender into...then we install into the steel line about 3" outside the trans...I don't like cutting a hose only from a warranty standpoint.. Hope this helps Dave...I can't seem to work the pictures...

·
victim of circumstances
444 Posts
I hope you don't give up on the picture thing. You seem like a lot of help and being able to post visually will make your help even more valuable. I will be more than happy to assist if I can.

Here's what I rigged up:

And here's where I intended to put it .. i'm not worried about the warantee :D :

I guess I'll remove the 5/16 barbs and put those 1/4 inchers in. It sure seemed like I would need 5/16" because that's the diameter of the steel lines on the other side of the crimp connector... Thanks for your replies.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Rock-On said:
I give up on the pictures...what I was going to say is we use a 1/4 npt Tee, then on each end we install 1/4 npt X 5/16 crimp style connectors on the other part of the tee we install a 1/4 X1/8 npt reducer, thats what we install the sender into...then we install into the steel line about 3" outside the trans...I don't like cutting a hose only from a warranty standpoint.. Hope this helps Dave...I can't seem to work the pictures...
Dave, e-mail me your pictures and I'll post them.

·
victim of circumstances
444 Posts
Installing transmission fluid temperature sender

Well anyway, here it is installed....

For anyone interested, I had to add a grounding wire, otherwise the sensor has an incomplete ciruit and the resistor within the sensor can't return a voltage to the gauge. I ended up soldering a short length of wire to the transmission line and clamping the other end to the brass Tee. Temperature shows 160 on the open road and 175 in traffic. This is 25 degrees below what it was before hooking up the B&M cooler.

·
Registered
261 Posts
wouldnt you be able to put a probe into the trans fluid pan on the side when you do a service and tap it when its off of the trans then seal the probe? kinda like having an O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe. with the probe having its own bung?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts