LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about transmissions: are 4L60E transmissions interchangeable between 94-95-96? if not, what are the difficulties?
thanks, seth

·
Registered
895 Posts
A what-body? - refers to the GM vehicle "platform": (relevant years are included)
B-body: Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, Olds Custom Cruiser
D-body: Cadillac Fleetwood (1993-1996)
F-Body: Camaro & Firebird (1993-2002)
Y-Body: Corvette (1992-1996)

4L60E similarities:
All 4L60E/4L60/700R4 have the same gear ratios which cannot be modified:
1 - 3.06:1
2 - 1.63:1
3 - 1.00:1
4 - 0.70:1

GM B and D-body 4L60E differences by year:
’94: First year of electronic controls in the valvebody (versus the ’93 4L60, which did not have this). The PCM controls line pressure (holding power and shift feel), 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift points (rpm), and TCC lockup (timing and in the ’95-up models, apply feel). Everything else is done mechanically/hydraulically.

’95: Added a Pulse-Width Modulation Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) apply solenoid to control the feel of the TC clutch lockup (blamed for many 4L60E problems; TransGo HD2-C bypasses this, or you can stake the TCC apply valve in place). Also changed 3-2 downshift solenoid mid-year (see '96, below).

’96: PWM TCC plus a different tailhousing design with new-style Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Also changed the 3-2 downshift solenoid in mid-1995 from TBD to TBD. There was a new manual valve added along with a relief port over the manual valve on the valve body casting with this change. This solved the low/reverse clutch release problem and makes the TransGo manual valve mod unnecessary.

How to visually tell B and D-body transmissions apart by year:
'94: VSS on driver's side of tailshaft housing, and when you remove the torque converter, there is no "PWM" on the front surface of the pump. In the pan, only one solenoid on the front face (relative to the transmission in the car) of the valvebody. Inside of the wiring connector is purple.

'95: VSS on driver's side of tailshaft housing, and when you remove the torque converter, there is "PWM" in raised letters on the front surface of the pump. In the pan, there are two solenoids on the front face (relative to the transmission in the car) of the valvebody. Inside of the wiring connector is green.

'96: VSS on passenger side of tailshaft housing, and when you remove the torque converter, there is "PWM" in raised letters on the front surface of the pump. In the pan, there are two solenoids on the front face (relative to the transmission in the car) of the valvebody. There will be two brackets on the top rear of the case for the rear O2 sensor wiring. Inside of the wiring connector is green.

9C1 Trans differences:
9C1 4L60Es come with a “1st gear lockout” function that is a tab secured next to the shift linkage by the oil pan bolts. This can be removed by removing the two bolts and then reinstalling and torqueing them to 9ftlbs.

LT1 vs. L99 Trans differences:
4L60Es in L99 4.3L V8 cars come with a smaller servo than the LT1 5.7L V8 cars, which come with the cor-“vette” servo for more holding power on the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. If an L99 4L60E is going behind an LT1 engine, the servo assembly should be swapped over before installed (easily accessible on the passenger-side of the case). TransGo also sells a vette servo that can be installed as part of their 4L60E HD-2C reprogramming kit. Also, the boost valve is smaller (again, Transgo fixes), and it is possible that some holes in the separator plate are smaller.

Cadillac Fleetwood V4P differences:
Cadillac spec'd the Fleetwood towing package (V4P) to tow up to 7000lbs. The transmission was setup from the factory to shift a bit firmer. If you swap one of these transmissions into your car, be careful how line pressure you add in via the PCM. Each vehicle and package generally had some small tweaks (L99 vs. LT1, truck vs. car), so be aware that the shift feel will probably not feel the same after a swap.

Can I use a 4L60E from a...?
Note: This info assumes you can swap or remove cooler line fittings, electronics modules, tailshaft housings, and shifter brackets yourself.
1. CK Truck or Fullsize Van: Any "K" case out of a '94-97 GM full-size 2WD pickup will work. 4WD transmissions have shorter tailshafts which cannot be swapped without disassembly. 4L60Es behind the 305 V8 and 4.3 V6 came with the smaller '..553' servo which should be replaced with an '..093' "corvette" servo. Other V6 versus V8 internal differences are unknown. Using 4L60Es from LS-engined trucks will probably encounter the same issues as ones from LS1 camaros (see below).
2. S10/Blazer (2WD V6 only): Probably. 4L60E was used '93 up to '96???. You will need to swap the servo assembly out of your b-body 4L60E (make sure to put a new blue o-ring on the servo cover when you do so). Other mounting, electrical and internal differences are unknown at this time.
3. F-body (Camaro-Firebird) LT1 4L60Es from '94-00 will fit. They also have the "corvette" servo.
3b. LS1 4L60Es from '98 up will bolt on but you must use the LS1 torque converter. Unknown as to whether the LS1 TC will bolt to an LT1 flexplate. V6 transmisssions have incompatible bellhousings and will not work.
4. Corvette 4L60Es from '94-96 are identical internally (and obviously have the "corvette" servo). The difference is the case. It will be impossible to bolt the exhaust hanger bracket to the case without modification to the vette case.

Can I use a 4L60 or 700R4? from a '91-93 Caprice or other vehicle?
Don't bother. You could, but it's not worth the effort. The internal rotating parts are basically identical but everything else is different. Sell it and get a 4L60E.

Caprice Transmissions from '8x-96:
198?-1990 - 700R4 (also 200-4R on some models)
1991-1993: 4L60
1994 - on : 4L60E

Year to Year B/D-body Swap Guide:
To put a ’94 4L60E into a ’95 car: Direct bolt-in; no mechanical or electrical changes required. The PCM must be reprogrammed with ’94 transmission base code to avoid setting a silent code (Check Engine Light (CEL) does not illuminate, but code stored in memory). Trans will operate normally without reprogramming. EDIT 10/20/07 - The silent code (code 83) may inhibit TCC lockup, but I have not verified this. Three potential fixes (any one will work); 1. reprogram PCM so it doesn't look for the PWM solenoid, 2. swap the '95-96 harness into the car ALONG WITH the PWM solenoid connected but leave the solenoid in the pan, 3. wire up a manual TCC lock switch by which you can lock the converter. END EDIT.

To put a ’94 4L60E into a ’96 car: The ’96 tailshaft housing and VSS must be installed on the ’94 4L60E before the trans can be bolted into the car. No other mechanical or electrical mods necessary. The PCM must be reprogrammed with ’94 transmission base code to avoid setting a silent code (Check Engine Light (CEL) does not illuminate, but code stored in memory). Trans will operate normally without reprogramming. EDIT 10/20/07 - The silent code (code 83) may inhibit TCC lockup, but I have not verified this. Three potential fixes (any one will work); 1. reprogram PCM so it doesn't look for the PWM solenoid, 2. swap the '95-96 harness into the car ALONG WITH the PWM solenoid connected but leave the solenoid in the pan, 3. wire up a manual TCC lock switch by which you can lock the converter. END EDIT.

To put a ’95 4L60E into a ’96 car: The ’96 tailshaft housing and VSS must be installed on the ’94 4L60E before the trans can be bolted into the car. Technically, the 3-2 downshift solenoid should be swapped also, but experience shows that it is not required.

To put a ’95 4L60E into a ’94 car: No mechanical mods required. Mod A must be performed. The trans will operate normally without Mod A but TCC lockup will not work, so highway and cruising gas mileage will suffer and more heat will be produced in the transmission.

To put a ’96 4L60E into a ’95 car: The ’95 tailshaft housing and VSS must be installed on the ’96 4L60E before the trans can be bolted into the car. Technically, the 3-2 downshift solenoid should be swapped also, but experience shows that it is not required. No other modifications are necessary.

To put a ’96 4L60E into a ’94 car: The ’94 tailshaft housing and VSS must be installed on the ’96 4L60E before the trans can be bolted into the car. Mod A must be performed. The trans will operate normally without Mod A but TCC lockup will not work, so highway and cruising gas mileage will suffer and more heat will be produced in the transmission.

Mod A (method 1):
An additional wire must be run from the PCM pin TBD to pin TBD on the trans harness for the TCC to work. Also, the PCM must be reprogrammed with ’95 transmission base code.

Mod A (method 2):
Swap the ’94 internal harness into '95-’96 transmission, leave PWM solenoid unplugged but installed. On the valve directly to the right of the PWM solenoid – push that valve all the way towards the outside of the valvebody , push it against the side of the valvebody and stake it into place. That’ll lock down your PWM function and it’ll function like a regular lockup. No PCM reprogramming required. Now with pics!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the tranny info. A person I met at the auction where i got the donor Roadmaster has a yard with some B-body cars including a couple of Shaheen cars. Despite his vast knowledge, he was ignorant about the year-to-year tranny changes. your info should be very helpful.

thanks, seth

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awesome info man!

Is there anything like post 3, but for a A4 to M6 swap and a v6 to LSx swap (98+ Trans Am)

I want to get a 98+ Trans Am M6 Vert, but they are just too damn $$$. I fig that I would just get a 98+ v6 and over time collect the parts then swap the v6 for the LSx as well the A4 for the M6.

Thanks guys!

DM

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the Shaheen cars are refurbished 9C1 cars. The outfit is somewhere in Ohio me thinks; I presume that they would also do a Roadmaster. One of the older threads discussed some shmoe from MSN who dogged the RM. That fool also dogged AMC. I tried to post a long rant about the good things AMC did but was uncertain if it was posted. Nevertheless I would like to thank Mr. Cadillac for defending AMC. It is one thing to poke fun at a Pacer or Gremlin but referring to AMC as "a sad defunct company", well, them theres fightin' words! Most people do not know that AMC also built the HumVee. When you are driving an H1 you are driving a Rambler.:banghead:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Awesome info man!

Is there anything like post 3, but for a A4 to M6 swap and a v6 to LSx swap (98+ Trans Am)
Not sure. That came from the ImpalaSSForum.com We don't deal with wussie V6's. :p

·
Registered
895 Posts
I know, think about that... Lowly, and crappy AMC designed the prized hummer. So I guess the Cherokee Vs HumVee battle, is nothing more than lil brother vs big brother. :D What do they think A.M. General means?

Damn it... My name needs to be Changed on here...

·
Registered
48 Posts
want to open this again, hijack abit. can anyone tell me if a 4l60e out of a 99 firebird v6 will fit in a 2wd 99 tahoe? tailshaft different? can it be swapped? I'm asking cause I parted out a wrecked 99 fbird and about all I have left is tranny and a fellow here need a 4l60e for his tahoe. I dont know if he has 4.3 v6 or 3.8 . probly a good thing to find out or does it matter?

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Are you confused? Wimpala's are not welcomed to that board... ;) ALL B-body's. Infact, don't even have to deal with the silly F-body guys, either. :D You must be thinking of http://www.impalaforums.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 caprice with the LT1 engine. i guess the people i got it from has replaced the torque convertor 4 times. is the a known cause for the convertor failure.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a 96 caprice with the LT1 engine. i guess the people i got it from has replaced the torque convertor 4 times. is the a known cause for the convertor failure.
Huh?

KW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts