LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question, i run standard bf goodrich 245/50/16 tires all around on my 96 z28... should i be able to swing the back end around in 4th gear from a 60 mph rolling start? this is on completely dry pavement by the way. I bought this car yesterday and am enjoying it immensely, but just am curious what other ppl have experienced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah its on completely dry highway pavement. and the thing is i just bought this car about 4 days ago, and im starting to suspect theres been some cam work done, i know it straight pipes from headers back no catalytic. k&n cold air intake, and from appearance it looks as if theres larger injectors as well. wish i knew more about whats been done but it was sold to me from a dealer who bought it at auction so they didnt know much either. it has 100k miles on it, and looking at the engine, theres not as much as a smudge of grime on the block or anywhere else which suggests to me a rebuild, but i cant be sure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
from my oppinion i wouldnt be worried about it mabey you just have a hell of a lot of power. lol but i would try tires first

·
Registered
18 Posts
Traction is a problem with F-Body cars for sure. I suggest going to a 17"x9.5" with 285/40R17 up front and 17"x10" or 17"x11" with 315/35R17 on rear. That will help.
It did for me :p -Tim

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
just the fact that the road is dry does not mean that it will hook, i have to imagine that it is cold where you are, hell on my lt1 i dont get traction till 3rd gear and i am running 275 nittos, come summer and warmer weather you will have more traction.

for now a few things you can do to help, V6 springs will help weight transfer, LCA's will eliminate wheel hop, chassis mount TQ arm will plant the rear, and q1a shocks will both help the rear seperate, bring the nose up faster, and help control for the whole run... check out the "so you wanna be fast " write up for more info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Would the speed rating of the tires have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
482 Posts
CamaroJake said:
Would the speed rating of the tires have anything to do with it?
Higher rated tires usually are made of a harder compound. Traction is better in softer compound tires.

But as said above, variables like surface temperatures are huge determinates of traction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts