LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone looking for a replacement traction control switch for my 96 t/a. Of course it’s a discontinued item and no one has any. Just wondering if anyone has had luck getting one or has one. It’s the old style switch that looks like the fog light switch. Anyone have any luck trying to put a button style switch into it instead? Thanks in advance.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
Have you tried Ebay or craigslist to find one? You could also try this salvage yard search engine to find the part. Start with your state. If nothing, search the region. If still nothing search whole country. These yards ship parts.
www.car-part.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried everywhere, no luck. It’s discontinued and it was an option for the car so not everyone wanted to pay the 450 for it, crazy to think people wouldn’t spend the extra 450 for it.

·
Global Moderator
13,611 Posts
My next suggestion is to download the factory service manual and look at the wiring diagrams for the traction control switch. We have 94-96 & 98-00. If you have an 01 or 02 car the 00 manual will work.

I'm thinking you can find a switch that is similar in appearance and has the right number of leads coming out of it. Do a search for electronic parts sellers. There are quite a few. Or maybe an auto parts store or hardware store may have what you need.

Don't worry if the switch is rated at 110-120 volts. It will still work in a 12 volt swstem. In fact any switch rated for 12 volts or more will do the job. I can't say what amp rating you will need, but it's probably not more than 1 or 2 amps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong . Im assuming the car is between 93-97
The way those years work the 6 cyllinders got the traction control and did not have positraction .
and was skip shift where it would start in second or third gear for snow traction .
might even be a rally sport function meaning the z28 6 banger had posi
Ws6= Z28 But lt1s got positraction
And did not Get traction control Skip Shift
I think Your Car has wires because your car could have came either way
If it did not come with it I dont think its a option you can use.
The car hood in your little picture screams WS6 Posi and LT1 Atleast 2-3 lol
I dont think youl have the solenoid in the trans
just a positive charged wire and ground going nowhere

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight, just a WS6 hood added after when the bumper was changed to a 98. I don’t know man everything I’ve read shows it was a 450 dollar option during those years

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good reading is GM Heritage Google that Theres a page Where You look up 96 Trans Am
And Download it
A 450 charge for econamy V6
Its like the WS6 option has many things in the package
My Z28 option theres 2 of performance steering and suspension
and lt1 performance exaust lol
Rally sport got airodynamics package skip shift V6
GM Heritage Vehicle information kit page
bet you got posi and v6 banger probably a 6 speed
performance package

·
Registered
85 Posts
W80 is posi on drivers door on options tag probably a Ws6
1FP87 ts actually 97 Z28 Coupe lt1 ws6 will have a number on top left side of tag
youl figure it out
its a firebird trans am I looked and couldnt find it
You have to ask trans am guys
And it might be at a different transam or pontiac site
but for a 96 you can use camaro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts