LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating a cam change, and while at it, changing the timing set that's been in there since 1997. Currently I'm using a timing gear that's been modified for a thrust bearing, and a cam button. I don't know of any problems using this set-up, and the supposed benefit is prevention of wear on the block. The cam would be a Comp XS282S solid flat lifter.

Any opinions/experience? I'd probably go with this set from Summit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Based on comments/advice received elsewhere, I'm going with a standard non-thrust bearing Comp double roller.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting, I have been having problems with mine just recently in my 454 Chevelle. Although I have no choice but to run a cam button because I have a roller setup in that car. My dilema was whether I wanted the steel roller button or the plastic one.

Well I didn't want plastic in my motor so I bought the steel roller button. That was 2 years and about 8,000 miles ago. A loud squeak developed the other day. Stethascope revealed it was coming from the timing cover so I imediately thought it was the cam button. Disassembled and found 2 of the needle bearings had failed and it locked up, which caused the entire assembly to dig into the back of the timing cover.

No major damage or shrapnel,,,just a pain in the rump to deal with thats all. I will purchase a new cover and another cam button. Just unfortunate but I will probably go with the roller style button again, since I believe my failure was obscure and not very common after talking to Comp Cams about the problem.

In your situation with a flat tappet cam the cam button is not needed because the bottom portion of the lifter actually has a taper machined into it to force the cam rearward in the block during rotation. Roller cams do not have this feature obviously which is why the button is required, you can't have the cam walking back and forth with roller lifters for obvious reasons. Although some engine builders like the cam buttons with flat tappet cams just for added insurance. Larry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've run a number of the comp cams timing sets with the thrust bearing. Had a 454 crew cab with 90K on one, lost a rod, as long as you run a cam button, and a good front cover to keep the cam from walking forward, and keep it adjusted, they will run for a long time...

i run one on the 71, use a cast front cover and a roller button...

will move to the Mildon gear drive I think next...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts