LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Amen, there has got to be a stop put to all these illigils coming into this country everyday. I would almost bet money that the next terrorists that attack us will have gotten into the USA through our southern border.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Yeah its called a 2000 mile long wall topped with razor wire, 15 feet tall, 3 feet thick, steel reinforced concrete, penetrating into the ground at least 6 feet.

Triple the number of border patrol agents, and lastly convince Mexico to do something about their shitty economy and stop encouraging mexican citizens to enter America illegally.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Absolutely!! The sad part is that nothing like that will ever get done untill some kind of disaster happens, stemming back to the fact that our border was wide open and let them come on over at will. As i'm sure you already know I am a very strong Bush supporter and right wing conservative, but that is the one issue that niether side is doing much about. I know the Liberals would open it up even more and make it even easier for them to cross, but our side is'nt doing enough either.......on a side note, if your going to come to this country (legal or other wise) LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!!!! If I moved to Mexico, I would'nt expect them to learn English to occomadate me, I would learn Spanish. This is America, we speak English here, learn it! I hate going to the bank ATM or phone recordings, ets, etc and having to select English or Spanish. There should'nt be an option. Sorry just had to vent that :mad:

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I agree its the one big failing of the GOP...at least the GOP "in power" plenty of Republicans are for tighter border control, particularly in the house, but I think Bush and the bigger leaders are nervous because of the business interests that contribute.

The dems are just as beholden to big corporations though, one look at the donor lists confirm that. THey also like illegals because illegals vote illegally and usually vote Democrat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i heard that mexico actually hands out a pamplet giving those who try to cross tips on how to survive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There shouldn't be an option of english or spanish on ATMs?! Sorry but Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world, and there's no way of getting around the hispanic population of the United States. Fact is, a good majority of them got into our country legally and may not have the money right now to pay for english classes, or they may just be trying to get onto their feet. We are a nation of acceptance and accomodation--that's what makes us more desirable to all these people. It's nice already being a citizen and turning super hard-ass on it all, but it isn't the same from the outside looking in. Live a day in a Mexican's shoes and you might feel differently. If you ask me, there life is already difficult enough, why throw in a "must learn english" clause? Easy on the intolerance, cthomas.

edit:
I'm all for tighter border controls because I think everyone should have to enter this country legally and should simply be turned away if they can't do that. The previous paragraph was an effort to show the other side of the story, which never gets discussed when everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
contraststriker said:
There shouldn't be an option of english or spanish on ATMs?! Sorry but Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world, and there's no way of getting around the hispanic population of the United States. Fact is, a good majority of them got into our country legally and may not have the money right now to pay for english classes, or they may just be trying to get onto their feet. We are a nation of acceptance and accomodation--that's what makes us more desirable to all these people. It's nice already being a citizen and turning super hard-ass on it all, but it isn't the same from the outside looking in. Live a day in a Mexican's shoes and you might feel differently. If you ask me, there life is already difficult enough, why throw in a "must learn english" clause? Easy on the intolerance, cthomas.

edit:
I'm all for tighter border controls because I think everyone should have to enter this country legally and should simply be turned away if they can't do that. The previous paragraph was an effort to show the other side of the story, which never gets discussed when everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon.

I have to disagree.

Our national language is English... not English AND SPanish.

Also, if we are going ot put SPanish on everything... why stop there? French, German, Russian, Chinese... the list is a mile long...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Darth Xed said:
I have to disagree.

Our national language is English... not English AND SPanish.

Also, if we are going ot put SPanish on everything... why stop there? French, German, Russian, Chinese... the list is a mile long...
What's wrong with accomodating for the second most widely used language in the world. It's going to help the whole nation function better anyway. Should we peel off all the spanish translations on consumer products as well? And I'm suggesting only Spanish because it is FAR more common than those languages you listed. Good lord, why is it so hard to have a convenience for someone ELSE?! Bunch of selfish people.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
What's wrong with it is that its NOT accomodating....its screwing things up. If people were forced to learn english we wouldn't waste billions on printing and creating things in two languages, governments and schools wouldn't have to spend billions hiring bilinguals or teaching people spanish....and cops too.....and you have millions of children of illegal immigrants being born here, which makes them citizens and then they never learn how to speak english.

Contra, do you want to divide America, because that's what you're advocating.....that we give up whatever cohesiveness makes us Americans. If all the millions of Eurpoean immigrants in the early 1900 had refused to learn english, where would we be today?

Its not a melting pot if nobody melts.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
What's wrong with it is that its NOT accomodating....its screwing things up. If people were forced to learn english we wouldn't waste billions on printing and creating things in two languages, governments and schools wouldn't have to spend billions hiring bilinguals or teaching people spanish....and cops too.....and you have millions of children of illegal immigrants being born here, which makes them citizens and then they never learn how to speak english.

Contra, do you want to divide America, because that's what you're advocating.....that we give up whatever cohesiveness makes us Americans. If all the millions of Eurpoean immigrants in the early 1900 had refused to learn english, where would we be today?

Its not a melting pot if nobody melts.
Okay, then take the billions spent on printing and put it into educating english into immigrants. The money has to be spent somewhere.

[sarcasm]Yes, I'm advocating dividing America[/sarcasm] What the hell?! You get these huge SWEEPING statements from one thing I say! Good lord I know I don't share your beliefs but that doesn't mean I don't believe in America. And even with all the printings in spanish, people learn english by necessity in America. I'd love to meet an immigrant who's stayed any length of time here and hasn't picked up at least some english. The vast majority of products/services do NOT have spanish translations, those that do are simply helping to ease the transition. TONS of other countries have adapted (Europe, China, Japan for example) to have english translations everywhere, do you criticize them as well?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My view is... if you want ot come here, to live here, you follow our rules.

English is our National Language.

You want to come here? That's fine.... but you educate yourself to fit in. Don't expect everyone else to conform to you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
i do have to say that illegals do work hard, but send them back to their country. i used to not be so agaisnt them, but since my mom got rearended by ****en drunk illegals and they took off running, ive been really bitter. we need more of those minutemen down there with M16s. When i have a business, it will have a sign in english that says if you can't read this then we can't serve you. some try really hard to learn and i commend them, but some don't care and don't see the point in learning. we need one of those electric fences like in Jurassic Park. Illegals also don't have any freedoms except the basic human rights. no freedom of speech, no rigth to have guns, no rights to welfare, no rights to illegal searches. those are for citizens and legal aliens. i could never be a cop in texas or NM, they would fire me right away for deporting too many.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The US does not have a national language. If you don't like that, write your congressman. As for me, I'm just tacking on another language in my repertoire.

The solution is simple with regard to the border. Set it up for Mexican pinball.:devil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts