LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 95 Camaro. I decided to do the throttle body bypass. The car ran good for about 10 min and all of a sudden I saw smoke coming out from under hood , so I popped it open and saw coolant spraying out of the back right hand side valve cover. I took the valve cover off and saw coolant all over the place. Could the throttle body bypass mod cause this ? Or did I already have a problem beforehand . Car ran good before I did the bypass. Anyones input is appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is certainly possible, but I wouldn't want to blame it without further investigation. Has any coolant mixed with oil in the crankcase? That may be an indicator of something fairly serious.

One thing I would just double check is the seal for the coolant steam pipes at the back of the head. If they leak, it can spray a pretty big mess, and could possibly make it difficult to see exactly where it originated.

I would recommend getting a pressure tester, getting your coolant system under load, and check for leaks/pressure dropping in the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is certainly possible, but I wouldn't want to blame it without further investigation. Has any coolant mixed with oil in the crankcase? That may be an indicator of something fairly serious.

One thing I would just double check is the seal for the coolant steam pipes at the back of the head. If they leak, it can spray a pretty big mess, and could possibly make it difficult to see exactly where it originated.

I would recommend getting a pressure tester, getting your coolant system under load, and check for leaks/pressure dropping in the system.
If I remember correctly no there wasent any coolant in the crankcase. This happened a while ago, I remember taking off the valve cover and seeing a bunch of coolant, also when I took the head bolts off a bunch off coolant started leaking out the bolt hole. I also saw a lil bit under the intake manifold. I remember thinking, well since I already took all this off might as well take the whole engine out and build a 383 lol . But I don’t remember anything in the crankcase. I have the whole engine apart right now and I’m just starting to work on it again. I was just curious as to what happened that day. I guess I’ll figure it out and tule out a cracked head or block when I get them magnaflux and pressure tested. Thanks for replying though. Appreciate it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts