LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys came to the conclusion to get my pcm for my 1997 z28 tuned by Solomon (the cheapest way ive found)
Need your guys information about any other things to get tuned while he has it (mail-order)
The things i've got him doing so far:

-e.g.r. delete
-a.i.r. delete
-ignition timing retard to higher temps
-gear ratio to 3.42
-thermo to 160 degrees
-tuned to mods

-rev limiter suggestions on stock engine w/ 80K

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Stock limiter is 5885 RPM, not much need to go higher for stock CAM/valve train. I assume you're buying the performance tune. If so, the tune could set cutoff a bit over 6K and if it's an A4 ask about tranny tweaks for a shift feel. If you go cooler fans w/the 160* T-stat (185/195) and commit to 91 octane you s/b able to get some decent performance enhancements out of it. I used Solomon little over 4 years ago prior to getting into DIY tuning. It was a pleasant experience he did a free tweak to the tune for fueling after mailing him log..offered another, but I did not need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont see the point in tuning out the VATS system unless there is a problem with it?
Is there any pros for tuning it out?

Also what will shift firmness do? I'm chirping them going from 1-2 down the track even after sticky tires will shift firmness help this to not happen?

120 Posts
I dont see the point in tuning out the VATS system unless there is a problem with it?
Is there any pros for tuning it out?

Also what will shift firmness do? I'm chirping them going from 1-2 down the track even after sticky tires will shift firmness help this to not happen?
VATS can get a little finicky on the cars as they get older and the chip wears down. When it fails you'll be kinda stuck unfortunately. But it's no a big deal, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I was thinking a DD, 0 to 55 driving, not strip.. A4 Tune has about 45 settings, there are four sets of shifting tables (* five if you have FB TA performance switch). Shift Tables are: Normal, Performance*, Cruise, Manual, Kickdown. Normal shift table is around town and and tweaking can make shifts earlier/later and harder/softer. I personally like a lower speed harder shift feeling and have my setup tuned for it. I also added the FB TA Performance switch mod to my Z28 and have more aggressive shifting in that table. It's activated with a push button on my console. As far as strip, the kickdown table is used in PE (WOT) mode, does not need a lot of change in a stock setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you do that push button mod on a 97 obd2?
Also how are the different shift tables engaged? Like WOT or something?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Performance switch will not work on your PCM, it was a GM OBD1 94-95 only.

I can't exactly answer your questions as I do not have SW or OBD2 data. However 'theory wise' the '96-97 F-Body LT1 OBD2's were set up very similar to the OBD1's as far as powertrain operation. The table names may differ, but the engine/4L60E operation is the same. The pic below is a copy of the stock 1995 A4 w/ 3.42 settings. The speeds will change with gearing EG: the 2>3 upshift in a 2.73 is 91 MPH, it's 73 in a 3.42.

Normal table is with shift lever in 4th, manual is with shift lever not in 4th, Cruise is with cruise control on, performance is N/A on your PCM and kickdown is used when PCM is in PE (performance enhancement AKA: WOT) mode described below.

The big chart is what tells the PCM to go into PE mode, the higher RPM the less TPS% is needed. The two small charts speed and RPM are BOTH required to be met for a shift to occur. EG: if PCM is in PE mode then speed has to be 36 MPH -AND- RPM 5344 before the PCM will command the 1>2 shift to the transmission. Since rev limiter is set to 5800 RPM the shift takes place about 500 RPM before top RPM. Time from PCM shift command to tranny and actual transmission shift (rpm drop/tire chirp) is about 1/2 a second.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to get the tires to stop chirping from 1-2 i need to set my firmness higher in PE mode?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Line pressure and shift times are the equivilant of easing out or popping the clutch on an M6. Question is out of my league..not sure what is the best to get more grab/less churp on that 1>2 shift. drivetrain, tires, suspension get complex. I'd only be guessing, there are other forum members out here with strip experience and tested setups. Maybe someone else could chime in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts