LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now ive always been told that changing out the MAF sensor was pointless and for 400 dollars you only got like 5 horsepower, but i was reading the new SUPER CHEVY and they put one on an otherwise stock 95 Z28 6speed and gained 35 more hp at 5200 rpms and 23 lb-ft mor torque at 4000 rpms. So i was just wondering what kind of experience you guys had with them.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Super Chevy is more than likely sponsored by Granatelli or whatever MAF it was that they were putting in... No way they gained 35 rwhp just from an MAF. Simply no way.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They had dyno charts. Oh and the car also had a bad air filter that was replaced but i dont know i fit was before or after the base run. Probably after. What would be something more realisctic to expect(in hp and tq)?

·
Registered
138 Posts
35 HP from a MAf sensor?? i highly HIGHLY doubt that. you arent reducing turbulence and you arent letting that much more air in.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
The test was rigged to favor the aftermarket MAF...Car mags do that crap all the time. Like GMHTP pimping out a crane box on an LT1 car...that's a good way to fry an opti...but they didn't tell you that in the article.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and one of my friends told me that having a aftermarket MAF and then doing like superchips or power programer would nuetralize the power gains from the MAF since they both mess with fuel curves and timing and stuff like that. So would you guys just suggest descreening the stock MAF and going with the bigger housing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Leave the stock MAF alone,its not a restriction until you reach 500HP.

Most PCM tuners(PCM4Less and Madwolf) work off the stock screened unported MAF to get the best tune.

·
Registered
14 Posts
transamtom said:

Most PCM tuners(PCM4Less and Madwolf) work off the stock screened unported MAF to get the best tune.
Wish I would have known this before I de-screened, port and polished mine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just find a used broken unported sensor and swap ends.

I bought a broken one and ported/polished it. I actually gained a tenth at the track.

I ran 5 runs after a cool down of 1/2 hour from the drive to the track,I went every 15 minutes and averaged 13.562

I then swapped ends on the MAF to the PP'd ones,cooled the car for 20 minutes and averaged 13.457 on the next 5 runs.

With a best of 13.417 @101.35.

I think it helped me because the factory tune was too rich.

Not very scientific but the results are there,plus it was hotter when I ran the PP'd MAF later in the afternoon.

The next week I couldn't get out of the 13.6's(on a cooler day) so I disconnected the battery to dump the computer but it didn't help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
transamtom said:

Most PCM tuners(PCM4Less and Madwolf) work off the stock screened unported MAF to get the best tune.[/QUOTE/}
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would like to add one more thing,any gain would be temporary as the computer will learn and compensate.

Spend your money on a mail order tune,it will net you more in the long run.

·
Registered
81 Posts
sleeperSS said:
anybody else hear that echo?
Sorry,I just re-read the whole post and seen your comments.

It's never a bad thing to make a good point twice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
maf

the maf is bigger in dia it really helps. more air, more power. plus you step up your injectors. it will make some more power...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
*cough* :bs: *cough*

·
Registered
977 Posts
The only way I see it adding that much HP is if it is purposely mis/under-calibrated in the upper regions where WOT is. In that case, it would act like a performance tune, by leaning out the AFR, which gains some power. But a good portion of power gains from tuning are from timing increases too. And if it does work like that, and you also get a good PCM tune, you'd end up with the WOT AFR way too lean.

So, I'd say it's like the others here are saying, it's probably a rigged test. Like they did several pulls before and after and used the ones that showed the biggest spread between the two. Or, if they changed the air filter before the MAF change, obviously that would make a difference.

We need to think of the MAF sensor for what it is: a sensor. We don't try to "upgrade" the MAP sensor, the IAT sensor, or anything else. It's supposed to sense something, it's calibrated. We wouldn't port out our thermostats so that they could flow better, would we?

Now, if you have access to data-logging/wideband and can do a lot of fine-tuning, then you may see some ultimate airflow/HP gains by significantly porting the MAF and recalibrating it completely across its spectrum.

Just my 2c!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts